This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0426 / 52°2'33"N
Longitude: -3.1387 / 3°8'19"W
OS Eastings: 321994
OS Northings: 238857
OS Grid: SO219388
Mapcode National: GBR F0.FJ2P
Mapcode Global: VH6BJ.KX1J
Plus Code: 9C4R2VV6+2G
Entry Name: Lower Wenallt
Listing Date: 5 January 1976
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 7463
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house is situated below the Wenallt, on steeply rising ground, behind its own farm buildings.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The house (also called Wenallt Isaf) is late mediaeval, of which an open hall of two very unequal bays remains, together with the 'upper' end beyond it. The house is aligned up the slope so it (or its predecessor) was probably a long-house. The 'lower' end was entirely rebuilt allegedly in 1827. The house is cruck-built and dendro-chronology tests gave dates of c.1485 for the original build and 1613 for the inserted hall ceiling. 3 pairs of crucks remain and the house was originally timber-framed.
The chimney was inserted into the open hall in the 16th century. Professor Maurice Barley rented the house for about 12 years c.1970-80 and was responsible for much restoration work, recreating the remaining bay of the open hall by removing the ceiling of 1613 and reinstating removed features at the 'upper' end.
Lower (E) build partly 1 storey & partly 1 with attics, & 2-storeyed, stone, Welsh slate rear, concrete tiles front. Chimneys built/rebuilt 1827. E build, timber-lintelled windows, at least 2 original to open hall stonework, plate glass; upper window on S, inserted? under reused timber, modern shutters; E end, gable light under stone label. W build, door & windows 1827 segmental arches, 2 & 3-light wooden casements, also pvc, oak-plank door in modern porch; modern windows ground-floor rear.
2-storey build much modernised both floors; staircase 1827, columnar newel; plank doors 1827; black slate chimneypiece. Hall, up 2 steps, C16 heavy oak doorframe, C18 oak plank door; roof, 2 bays, smoke-blackened, heavy purlins mostly original, originally central truss with pair of chamfered crucks & high arch-braced collar; fireplace, monolithic jambs, deep stone lintel, chamfered; pot-crane complete; stubs of 1613 floor remain; window-seats. E end, partition restored but incorporating tiebeam, collar & intermediate post, modern oak door; floor was earth, now stone, internal ladder stair on old site. E upper room, pair collared crucks in end wall.
The house is of great interest for its cruck-built open hall, now restored by Maurice Barley, and with reliable dating.
Other nearby listed buildings