This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1741 / 53°10'26"N
Longitude: -3.4239 / 3°25'26"W
OS Eastings: 304922
OS Northings: 365062
OS Grid: SJ049650
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.42SB
Mapcode Global: WH771.CGTZ
Entry Name: Chapel at the North Wales Hospital
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 20 July 2000
Source ID: 16173
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Located on a rise to the W of the hospital complex.
Community: Denbigh (Dinbych)
Locality: Noth Wales Hospital
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Asylum chapel, designed by Lloyd Williams and Underwood, architects of Denbigh and constructed 1861-2.
Asylum chapel in restrained Victorian Gothic style. Of random grey-brown rubble with freestone dressings, slate roofs. Aisleless nave with transepts and polygonal E end with gabled windows, and square projecting sanctuary. Octagonal wooden bellcote at the crossing with slated fleche having gablets and wrought-iron finial. The West end has a 4-light window with geometrical tracery. Nave windows have 2-light geometrical tracery. The N and S porches have doors with ornate hinges; four cusped-light windows to W. Transepts with stepped buttresses and 3-light window with geometrical tracery. The E end has 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, gables above. To the E of these are 2-light windows with cinquefoils, gables above. The projecting sanctuary has a 3-light E window with geometrical tracery; stepped buttresses. (The E end windows containing stained glass were all boarded internally and externally at the time of inspection.
Simple interior with open scissor roof with iron tie-bars; wooden panelled screen to E end. E window with stained glass by James Ballantine 1861. Stained glass to all E end windows except SE.
Listed for its special interest as a fine example of an 1860s asylum chapel.
Group value with other listed items at the North Wales Hospital.
Other nearby listed buildings