This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9672 / 51°58'1"N
Longitude: -3.2397 / 3°14'22"W
OS Eastings: 314929
OS Northings: 230583
OS Grid: SO149305
Mapcode National: GBR YW.L91B
Mapcode Global: VH6BV.STPB
Plus Code: 9C3RXQ86+V4
Entry Name: Whole House Farmhouse including attached Farm Building
Listing Date: 14 August 1995
Last Amended: 14 August 1995
Source ID: 16304
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a platform site on the lower NW slope of the hill, below the minor road from Trewalkin to Llangors, facing SSW into the farmyard.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The farm was probably part of the estate of Gunter of Trefeca. Detailed analysis indicates that it has some 5 phases, the rear wing is an earlier and structurally independent building, probably late medieval with open hall. The second phase is of the early C17, the building of the main house and byre in a longhouse form, when the chimney and floor were inserted together with a post and panel partition. Later, in mid C17 or perhaps 1682 the date on a reused lintel in the farm buildings, the porch was added and windows renewed. Further alterations took place in the C18 and the roof pitch was subsequently lowered.
Farmhouse of c1625-1650, whitewashed stone with slate roof. Two storeys, hall and parlour, with 2-storey porch at the lower end of hall, and short extension to rear, continued by lower outbuildings. W of the porch, a 2-storey cowhouse, and a 1-bay farm building. Ovolo moulded lintel to timber frame to the originally open external opening of porch, now provided with a C20 door. Internal porch door boarded, with cavetto moulded cover strips and studded, with original ironwork, set to an ovolo moulded frame. Side benches. C20 casement windows in openings, each having a monolithic drip course with dropped ends.
Attached at lower end the cowhouse, unpainted stone with corrugated iron roof. Two or 3 phases, three doors and two openings to the loft. At end, a further lower farm building with door and window openings. A diamond mullioned window on the rear wall.
Gable stack by entrance to hall with oven of two phases, wide fire lintel and wooden stair to rear. Central cross beam with ogee stops. Inner room/parlour also has chamfered cross beam with run-out stops and gable stack at upper end, cut into bank of hill. On the first floor the room over the porch has a recess in the SE wall. Ovolo moulded window in the NW wall with wood mullions, now a cupboard, with re-used C17 panelling as doors. Roof trusses have tenoned collars, the principals set on beams with run-out stops, probably replacing the originals when the roof was raised. Original 3-light window in the rear wall, with ovolo frame and mullions. Stone fireplace to gable wall on megalithic jambs and broach stops. A recess at the side was probably a recess for a stair, later converted to a seed-corn drying kiln.
Included as a substantial and well preserved C17 farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings