This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9967 / 51°59'48"N
Longitude: -3.2609 / 3°15'39"W
OS Eastings: 313525
OS Northings: 233893
OS Grid: SO135338
Mapcode National: GBR YV.J9S1
Mapcode Global: VH6BV.F2FM
Entry Name: Tregunter Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 August 1995
Last Amended: 14 August 1995
Source ID: 16313
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Tregunter Farm lies on the N side of the road from Talgarth to Llanfilo, with its farmyard to the rear.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The manor of Tregunter was granted to Sir Peter Gunter by Bernard Newmarch [Neufmarch_] after the Norman conquest. Tregunter House was built by Thomas Harris, the brother of Howel Harris, who had prospered from providing uniforms to the British Army, after his retirement in 1765. Thomas lived here until 1782, during which time he was captain of the Brecon militia. The house, which was a 3-storey 5-bay house with lower 3-bay wings on either side, became a fashionable resort under his wife, the actress Mary 'Perdita' Robinson, protege of Garrick, but she later left him to become the mistress of the Prince Regent. The house later came into the hands of William Maddocks, whose wife Eliza Anne remained here after his bankruptcy and exile in France. After it was sold in 1910 the grand staircase, tapestries and fittings were stripped out and sent to America, and the estate was sold by auction in September 1916. The building was largely demolished c. 1925. Part of the kitchen range and cellars survive opposite Tregunter Farm, including the E facing garden terrace. Tregunter Farm was the home farm for the house.
Farmhouse of the C19, with a service extension. Pebbledashed and whitewashed stone, with slate roofs. Two storeys, 3 window bays, with two storey continuous outshut at rear under continuation of the slate roof. The barn range is hipped into the back of the house with the ridge at lower level. Front elevation has central 4-panelled door within a timber gabled porch. Four-paned late C19 sashes. Brick gable stacks. Service extension to right (E) is one storey and attic, with boarded door and C20 replaced windows, the upper floor window within a wide front gable. Gable end stack.
Not accessible at time of inspection (March 1995)
Included as part of the important and unusually substantial group of farm buildings around the farmyard to the rear, and to the E, and for historical associations with the Tregunter estate.
Other nearby listed buildings