This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0066 / 52°0'23"N
Longitude: -3.2603 / 3°15'37"W
OS Eastings: 313588
OS Northings: 234987
OS Grid: SO135349
Mapcode National: GBR YV.HPYG
Mapcode Global: VH6BN.FTSM
Plus Code: 9C4R2P4Q+JV
Entry Name: Chapel at Bronllys Hospital
Listing Date: 21 June 1988
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 7494
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Situated in open ground to the west of Bronllys; the chapel lies to the south of the widely spaced pavilions making up the former tuberculosis sanatorium.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Originally planned as the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Sanatorium, the hospital, for 256 adults and 48 boys, was designed by Edwin T Hall and Stanley Hall, specialist hospital architects of London, and built in 1920, the chapel was erected with a gift of £5000 from Sir David R. Llewellyn Bt and H.Seymour Berry (later Lord Buckland of Bwlch) and dedicated in July 1920. Arts and Crafts style with Modern Movement influences.
Exterior: Rendered and painted with Westmorland slate roof. The building is of cruciform plan with 2 bay nave, short raised chancel with square apse raised on a plinth and lower roof. Transepts, the S containing the organ chamber, with vestry and heating chamber below. W door is studded, with square lights, under a stone arch, the tympanum filled with herringbone masonry. Slightly battered buttresses with stone corbel heads form bays containing the triple light windows, iron frames, margin leaded, with sills of 3 courses of slate. North transept and E window are stepped triple lights with round stone arches. Boarded and studded doors also to E side of N transept. Tapered bell tower with a small pyramidal roof, the bell opening in the form of vertical slots. Oculus in the S transept gable.
Open roof formed of trusses to each bay and across the three sides of the crossing, the laminated timber trusses consisting of principal rafters, scissor rafters, collars and struts to the upper purlin, mostly doubled and forming an attractive network effect. Pulpit part-octagonal and symmetrical with reading desk, both accessed from sanctuary steps. Round arch opening to sanctuary. Parquet floor.
Included as an impressive and well detailed building in a contemporary style for its period.
Other nearby listed buildings