This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4599 / 51°27'35"N
Longitude: -3.311 / 3°18'39"W
OS Eastings: 309015
OS Northings: 174256
OS Grid: ST090742
Mapcode National: GBR HR.M9VP
Mapcode Global: VH6FB.KKGN
Plus Code: 9C3RFM5Q+XJ
Entry Name: Church Hall House (former Cory Institute)
Listing Date: 17 February 1992
Last Amended: 30 July 2019
Source ID: 16326
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the S side of the Cardiff Road (A48), opposite Smiths Row.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston (Sain Nicolas a Thresimwn)
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston
Locality: St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: St Nicholas
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1896-7 by Lansdowne and Griggs Architects of Newport,, along with the attached Hall as the Cory Institute. Both buildings were designed and constructed together as a Temperance Institute with Mission Hall, Coffee Tavern and Temperance Institute and Rooms and are shown on the 2nd edition O.S. map, surveyed in 1898. The Cory family were well known local industrialists, philanthropists and supporters of the Temperance movement.
In the Arts and Crafts style. Two storey tower and house to the west.
Coursed liassic rubble. Red tiled roof with over-hanging eaves and red brick stacks with corbelled cap and string course. Rendered upper floor to the tower with swept pyramidal roof with finial and weather-vane. Clay tile-hanging to upper portion of east gable with band of fish-scale tiling. Brick stacks,.
Cross-frame windows to the first floor of both the tower and the house; the latter also has similar architraves; 5-light camber-headed window to house. Round headed entrance to the tower with voussoir and imposts; boarded doors. East gable has exposed red brick stack with flanking multi-paned casement windows with red brick dressings and gauged arches over. W end has splayed bay with similar glazing; roof sweeps down low behind with hipped roof projecting over tall window which steps down to the rear.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well designed and largely well preserved House and Church Hall in the Arts & Crafts style, displaying careful use of materials and design. It is also important for its historic significance as a key building within the centre of St. Nicholas in a prominent and important location.
Other nearby listed buildings