History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milepost

A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5995 / 52°35'58"N

Longitude: -3.2001 / 3°12'0"W

OS Eastings: 318810

OS Northings: 300869

OS Grid: SJ188008

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.96ST

Mapcode Global: WH79V.TX9J

Entry Name: Milepost

Listing Date: 21 August 1995

Last Amended: 21 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16332

Building Class: Transport

Location: Opposite Pool Road Cottage at the side of the road.

County: Powys

Community: Berriew (Aberriw)

Community: Berriew

Built-Up Area: Berriew

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Berriew

History

Probably early C19. Several turnpike roads passed through Berriew, including the Wrexham to Aberystwyth turnpike (established 1769), and the Montgomery-Tregynon turnpike (1773).

Exterior

Cast iron: a low triangular post has a semi-circular rear capping plate, lettered: 'Welshpool 5, Newmills 6 1/2, Manafon 5 1/2' with directional arrows.

Reasons for Listing

A well-preserved example of a cast-iron mile post.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Cottage
    Towards the junction with Church Terrace on the E side of the village.
  • II The Smithy
    On the corner of Church Terrace and the B4390 road out of the village to the NE.
  • II Memorial Cross in Churchyard
    On the N side of the church.
  • II Former School
    Backs onto the E side of the churchyard in the centre of the village.
  • II Church of Saint Beuno (aka St Beuno)
    Set back from the street in a churchyard of roughly circular shape.
  • II The Old School House
    Backs onto the E side of the churchyard in the centre of the village.
  • II The Farmhouse
    Opposite the junction of the B4390 (Pool Road) with the B4385 at the centre of the village, in a garden notable for its topiary.
  • II Whittingham's Stores
    Prominently sited at the centre of the village, bounding the churchyard adjacent to the Lion Public House.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.