This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6843 / 51°41'3"N
Longitude: -3.1427 / 3°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 321098
OS Northings: 199010
OS Grid: ST210990
Mapcode National: GBR HZ.5473
Mapcode Global: VH6D8.GXYP
Plus Code: 9C3RMVM4+PW
Entry Name: Former Navigation Colliery Baths
Listing Date: 28 September 1994
Last Amended: 29 January 1999
Source ID: 16428
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On the same terraced level as the colliery complex but further N, formerly reached both from the terrace and from a lane at lower level leading from Kendon Road in front of the Power House and Fan H
Community: Crumlin (Crymlyn)
Locality: Navigation Colliery Crumlin
Built-Up Area: Newbridge
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The baths building is of the type designed by the Miners' Welfare Committee architects following the Miners' Welfare Act of 1926 which permitted costs of construction of baths to be raised from wages and coal royalties. Baths were managed by trustees appointed from the colliery company and workforce. The Miners' Welfare Committee Architects' Department designed baths across Britain and developed a house style influenced by the Modern |Movement. Such baths typically contain showers and heated lockers, a canteen and medical centre. The Crumlin baths is typical of early designs and probably dates from the late 1920s. Now used as an upholstery workshop.
A long single-storey structure with two linked parallel gabled ranges to N, a central plenum tower for the water tanks and hot air system, and a boilerhouse and chimney to S. Of brown brick, now mostly painted, with corrugated and concrete roof. The two gabled sections formerly containing the lockers - clean on one side and dirty on the other - are 7 bays long, with a flat roofed area between formerly containing the showers. Entrance block to the front has flat roof and parapet and tower to rear. Adjacent to S is the boilerhouse which formerly contained boilers for heating water for the showers and air for the drying lockers. This is a flat roofed block with parapet and an attached slightly tapered chimney with blue brick decoration in a simple Art Deco style: a thin vertical panel on each side and a pierced capping band, with 3 metal-framed windows to side.
Interior retains main H-plan layout, with metal trusses to the long rooms. Toilet block to left of entrance retains white tiling.
Listed as a well-preserved example of an early Colliery Baths. Group value with other listed buildings within this important colliery complex.
Other nearby listed buildings