History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llyswen Presbyterian Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bronllys, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0309 / 52°1'51"N

Longitude: -3.2622 / 3°15'43"W

OS Eastings: 313503

OS Northings: 237697

OS Grid: SO135376

Mapcode National: GBR YV.G9F8

Mapcode Global: VH6BN.D6RY

Entry Name: Llyswen Presbyterian Church

Listing Date: 15 December 1995

Last Amended: 15 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16695

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located within its own linear churchyard, alongside the main Builth to Crickhowell Road, just beyond the S end of Llyswen village. The churchyard has a stone wall with a gate opening along the road f

County: Powys

Community: Bronllys

Community: Bronllys

Locality: Llyswen

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Bronllys

Exterior

History: Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, built c.1836 and renovated 1879. Transferred to the Presbyterian Church in 1904 and since served by Coleg Trefeca.

Exterior: Rendered stone with slate roof, quarter hipped at both ends. Single cell. Eastern side, facing road retains the traditional long-wall front formerly with doorways at either end. Now only the one entrance at the S end has double panelled doors with depressed ogee overlight. Two 4-paned windows, one quadrant pivot hung, and both with similar ogee shaped heads, the glazing bars forming a lozenge-shaped light. At N end, a low set window with similar head, the original door opening. Boxed eaves and moulded frieze. Shaped bargeboards. The N and W sides both have round-headed windows.

Interior: The internal plan was altered in the 1879 remodelling. Timber lobby around entrance doors. Walls plastered with a matchboarded dado. Moulded ribs form a panelled flat ceiling, having a central snowflake design. Raised pulpit under the N end window with a portable harmonium in front. Blocked fireplace on S wall. Three blocks of pews and some cross pews facing the pulpit.
Included as a conspicuous example of a small rural chapel, retaining the character of the pre-1840 building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lower House Farmhouse
    A farmhouse set at right angles to the road, backing on to the farmyard to the NW.
  • II Star House
    Located immediately S of the centre of the village, at the end of a row of two, and detached on the right. At one time an inn or 'beer-house'.
  • II Church of St. Gwendoline
    Located immediately NE of the centre of the village, approximately 60m from the A.470.
  • II Griffin Inn
    Located at the turn of the A.470 Builth to Brecon road in the centre of Llyswen village.
  • II Barn at W side of farmyard at Y Dderw
    The barn lies at the W end of the farmyard, SSW of Y Dderw.
  • II* Y Dderw
    Located at the head of the driveway off the main Llyswen to Hay road, on level ground in the floodplain of the River Wye.
  • II Barn S of Y Dderw
    Located to the S of Y Dderw farmhouse, on the W side of the main approach driveway, and forming the E side of the farmyard.
  • II Milestone opposite Y Dderw
    Located in the road verge, almost opposite the main driveway to Y Dderw farmhouse.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.