This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0302 / 52°1'48"N
Longitude: -3.2552 / 3°15'18"W
OS Eastings: 313985
OS Northings: 237609
OS Grid: SO139376
Mapcode National: GBR YV.GC5V
Mapcode Global: VH6BN.J7HH
Entry Name: Barn at W side of farmyard at Y Dderw
Listing Date: 28 September 1961
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 16816
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The barn lies at the W end of the farmyard, SSW of Y Dderw.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Exterior: Barn erected in 1681 and rebuilt in 1854, according to a panel over the S porch door. Rubble stone with concrete tile roof. 10 bays, with 2-bay porches on the E side of the 3rd and 8th bays, with coeval lean-to cowhouse between and against the end bays. Central cross bay on W side over bays 5 and 6.
Slit vents in walls, with 3 square vents in the S gable provided with timber frames and diamond mullions under a chamfered external lintel and stone drip courses with dropped ends. Nine tiers of pigeon nest holes with flight ledges in the gable, totalling approximately 54 nests. Similarly 5 tiers of nest holes on ledges over the segmental ashlar arches of both porches.
The original building appears to have been at least partly timber framed between the gable ends, the main posts being build into the stonework in the C19.
Interior: The end bays both ends appear to have been floored, the S bay retaining a floor and timber sill against the winnowing floor. The tops of the C17 jowled timber posts survive with angle struts to the ties. Tie beam and principal rafter trusses with pegged canted struts. Cow-house in the angle with the S porch has ventilation slit opening into the midstrey-porch.
Included as an interesting development of a C17 corn barn into a well-built and well preserved mid C19 farm building.
Other nearby listed buildings