This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.65 / 52°39'0"N
Longitude: -3.1569 / 3°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 321828
OS Northings: 306437
OS Grid: SJ218064
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.65FW
Mapcode Global: WH79P.GNY9
Plus Code: 9C4RMR2V+26
Entry Name: Gate to Fountain Garden
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16795
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the lower (E) end of the Fountain Garden, opening from the garden onto the main drive to the NE of the castle.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Powis Castle
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Violet, Lady Powis redesigned the former kitchen gardens from 1911, and commissioned the gate from G.F.Bodley, as a gift to her husband, the Fourth Earl, in 1912. It is a replica of the early C18 gate shown in a print of The Powis London residence, Powis House, Great Ormond Street.
Description: Ashlar piers with moulded panels and heavy moulded caps flank a pair of iron gates (cast, with some wrought iron decoration). The gates, with their overthrow, are richly ornamented with scroll-work, incorporating the Herbert Arms. The piers were originally surmounted by lead wyverns (missing at time of resurvey, May 1995).
A fine example of C20 iron work, and a highly significant component of the early C20 garden layout at Powis, both for the visual contribution to the garden and for their historical references.
Reference: National Trust, Powis Castle, 1988, p.44-5.
Other nearby listed buildings