History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Booster Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0013 / 53°0'4"N

Longitude: -3.9175 / 3°55'3"W

OS Eastings: 271416

OS Northings: 346607

OS Grid: SH714466

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.GWCB

Mapcode Global: WH559.STPH

Plus Code: 9C5R232J+GX

Entry Name: Booster Station

Listing Date: 1 February 1996

Last Amended: 1 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16890

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located immediately to the E of the slate dressing mill and S of the smithy/workshop.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Ffestiniog

Community: Ffestiniog

Locality: Maenofferen Slate Quarry

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in


History: Early C20 electricity booster station. Electric power was established at Maenofferen in 1911 with the construction of its own hydro-electric powerstation. This was fed via a system of pipes from Llyn Bowydd and Llyn Newydd; the booster station converted the power from DC to AC; it is still in use (June 1995).

Exterior: Slate-built single-storey structure of 2 sections, the southern-most stepped-down from the other and with weather-coursing at their intersection; oversailing eaves and deep verges. Tall loading bay to the N gable end with crane arm above. Boarded double doors to R. Partly slate-hung W side with boarded door and blocked window openings; further window (formerly an entrance).

Interior: The rear section (N) is the turbine room and retains its original machinery and switch gear. The S section is used as a storage area and lamp room. Early C20 Mine Act notices remain on the walls, together with a Coronation flag of 1953.

An early C20 electric booster station with its machinery intact and still in use.

Group value with other listed items at Maenofferen, an exceptionally complete example of a slate quarry level.

References: D. Rh Gwyn and A. Davidson, 'Gwynedd Slate Quarries', Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Report No. 152, (forthcoming).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Smithy and Workshop Range
    Immediately NE of the dressing mill on the main level of Maenofferen, a working quarry high above Llechwedd..
  • II Former Engine House
    Located immediately behind the electric booster house on the main level, NE of the slab mill.
  • II* Powered Incline Drumhouse including chimney
    At the end of a short rock tunnel linking the main Maenofferen level with the underground incline 100m E of the slab mill.
  • II Former Weighbridge Hut
    Located immediately to the S of the powered incline drumhouse, at the mouth of the connecting tunnel to the main level; built against the rock facing the railtrack.
  • II* Slate Dressing Mill
    On the main Maenofferen level, a working underground quarry, high above Llechwedd.
  • II Remote Incline Drumhouse
    Located approximately 150m NW of the slab mill on the main level of the quarry, on a bend and at the top of a long disused incline.
  • II Hydro-electric Powerstation
    Located 1km to the NW of the main Maenofferen level, in a sheltered hollow beneath the summit of Moel Bowydd; N gable into the rock.
  • II Tai Uncorn
    Set back behind a low walled garden on a slight rise at the NE end of the street.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.