History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hydro-electric Powerstation

A Grade II Listed Building in Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0041 / 53°0'14"N

Longitude: -3.9251 / 3°55'30"W

OS Eastings: 270920

OS Northings: 346931

OS Grid: SH709469

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.GT55

Mapcode Global: WH559.PR4C

Entry Name: Hydro-electric Powerstation

Listing Date: 1 February 1996

Last Amended: 1 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16897

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located 1km to the NW of the main Maenofferen level, in a sheltered hollow beneath the summit of Moel Bowydd; N gable into the rock.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Ffestiniog

Community: Ffestiniog

Locality: Maenofferen Slate Quarry

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Blaenau-Ffestiniog

Exterior

History: Hydro-electric DC power station Constructed in 1911 as part of the electrification of Maenofferen quarry and designed solely for its use. It is supplied from Llyn Bowydd and Llyn Newydd via pipes and is still in operation with its machinery largely intact.

Exterior: Square, slate rubble building with slate roof half-hipped to the S; plain bargeboards and deep verges to the N gable and a small tin louvre at the roof apex. Boarded entrance door to W face with an unglazed window opening to the L. Plain yellow brick chimney projecting from the SW corner with a low brick wall adjoining to the front. Upper loading bay to the rear with cast-iron pipe entry point; boarded doors. Various blocked and disturbed openings to the N gable, in part relating to the adjacent ruined engine house.

Interior: Raised platform to the E with central rail incline and pipework. 3-bay king post roof with gantry crane. Gilkes of Kendal turbine dated 1927 and a direct current generator by British-Thompson-Houston Co; switch gear also by B.T. H.

Listed as an exceptionally scarce example of an hydro-electric power station with largely intact machinery.

References: D. Rh Gwyn and A. Davidson, 'Gwynedd Slate Quarries', Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Report No. 152, (forthcoming).

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Slate Dressing Mill
    On the main Maenofferen level, a working underground quarry, high above Llechwedd.
  • II Smithy and Workshop Range
    Immediately NE of the dressing mill on the main level of Maenofferen, a working quarry high above Llechwedd..
  • II Former Engine House
    Located immediately behind the electric booster house on the main level, NE of the slab mill.
  • II Booster Station
    Located immediately to the E of the slate dressing mill and S of the smithy/workshop.
  • II* Powered Incline Drumhouse including chimney
    At the end of a short rock tunnel linking the main Maenofferen level with the underground incline 100m E of the slab mill.
  • II Former Weighbridge Hut
    Located immediately to the S of the powered incline drumhouse, at the mouth of the connecting tunnel to the main level; built against the rock facing the railtrack.
  • II Remote Incline Drumhouse
    Located approximately 150m NW of the slab mill on the main level of the quarry, on a bend and at the top of a long disused incline.
  • II Tai Uncorn
    Set back behind a low walled garden on a slight rise at the NE end of the street.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.