History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Taliesin Monument

A Grade II Listed Building in Trefriw, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1366 / 53°8'11"N

Longitude: -3.8488 / 3°50'55"W

OS Eastings: 276419

OS Northings: 361536

OS Grid: SH764615

Mapcode National: GBR 62.6FJK

Mapcode Global: WH54R.VFF7

Entry Name: Taliesin Monument

Listing Date: 30 May 1996

Last Amended: 30 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16947

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Located on a natural mount at the N end of Lake Geirionydd.

County: Conwy

Community: Trefriw

Community: Trefriw

Locality: Llyn Geirionydd

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Trefriw

History

Monolithic memorial erected c.1850 by Lord Willoughby De Eresby of Gwydir Castle on the supposed site of the birthplace of the famous C6th bard Taliesin. In 1863, disillusioned with the formality of the Eisteddfod rules, the poet Gwilym Gowlyd held his first Arwest here; from then until 1927 it continued to be held annually on this site at the foot of the monument to `the chief of bards.' Following its collapse in 1976 during a storm, the pillar was re-erected in 1994.

Exterior

3-stepped square boulder plinth surmounted by a tall pillar of undressed stone, itself surmounted by a plain oak cross. Brass plaque to front with historical information inscribed bilingually.

Reasons for Listing

Of literary and historic interest associated with Taliesin as the focus, for over sixty years, for the Arwest of Gwilym Gowlyd.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pont Hafod Arthen
    Spanning the Afon Crafnant 0.5km NE of lake Crafnant on the lake road to Trefriw. Also called Pont Nant-Uchaf.
  • I Llanrhychwyn Church
    Situated on an upland plateau approximately 1.2km S of Trefriw and 0.3km E of Lake Geirionydd; set back slightly to the SE of the road between the two.
  • II Lychgate at Llanrhychwyn Church
    Located immediately to the N of Llanrhychwyn church.
  • II Bron Edda
    Located at the SE edge of the town on a hillside, backing onto the Coed y Wern; at the end of a short lane leading S from the Pont-y-Pandy.
  • II Pont -y- Pandy
    Spanning the Afon Crafnant immediately above the Fairy Falls at the western extremity of the town.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.