History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bron Edda

A Grade II Listed Building in Trefriw, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1484 / 53°8'54"N

Longitude: -3.8268 / 3°49'36"W

OS Eastings: 277923

OS Northings: 362805

OS Grid: SH779628

Mapcode National: GBR 63.5LWX

Mapcode Global: WH65X.54Z7

Entry Name: Bron Edda

Listing Date: 30 May 1996

Last Amended: 30 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16930

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located at the SE edge of the town on a hillside, backing onto the Coed y Wern; at the end of a short lane leading S from the Pont-y-Pandy.

County: Conwy

Town: Trefriw

Community: Trefriw

Community: Trefriw

Built-Up Area: Trefriw

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Trefriw

History

One of a number of Gwydir estate cottages built by Lord Willoughby de Eresby c.1845 and conceived in a characteristic and highly stylised pseudo-vernacular style. This estate style represents a fusion between the Tudorbethan popularly employed in this context, and a Picturesque historicising style, ultimately dependant on such earlier examples as the Ty-Hyll, or `Ugly House' near Capel Curig.

Exterior

Single-storey 2-window cottage constructed of rough-dressed slate-stone blocks under a slate roof. This has deep verges and eaves, the latter with characteristic shaped corbelling, diagonally-set at the corners, and the former of large slate slab construction. Round, projecting end chimney to the N gable; of 2 stages with a cylindrical stack also of 2 stages, smaller at the top and with plain cornices. Near-centre entrance with slightly-recessed boarded door; modern flanking leaded, wooden mullioned windows with projecting slate cills. Triangular arched-headed window to S gable; plain glazing.

Interior

The interior was not inspected at the time of survey (February 1996).

Reasons for Listing

A mid C19 estate cottage of characteristic design.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Old Rectory
    Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.
  • II Tan-y-Celyn
    Located at right-angles with the road at the southern approach of the town.
  • II Pont -y- Pandy
    Spanning the Afon Crafnant immediately above the Fairy Falls at the western extremity of the town.
  • II Pont Trefriw
    Road bridge in the town centre, spanning the Afon Crafnant.
  • II Plas Coch
    On the street line in the town centre, just S of Llys Llewelyn and opposite the Trefriw Hall; set back slightly behind a low wall with simple C19 gates and iron railings.
  • II Trefriw Hall
    Set back from the main street in the town centre, partly obscured by later housing on the street-line in front.
  • II Llys Llewelyn
    Prominently sited in the town centre just S of the church of St. Mary; set back slightly from the road behind a low garden wall with simple spear-headed gates and railings.
  • II Peniel Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
    Strikingly located in the centre of the town, set against the hillside above and to the SW of the parish church; raised up on a revetted and railed terrace with simple gates and gatepiers.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.