History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate at Llanrhychwyn Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Trefriw, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1377 / 53°8'15"N

Longitude: -3.833 / 3°49'58"W

OS Eastings: 277478

OS Northings: 361625

OS Grid: SH774616

Mapcode National: GBR 62.6CDX

Mapcode Global: WH65X.3D1G

Entry Name: Lychgate at Llanrhychwyn Church

Listing Date: 30 May 1996

Last Amended: 30 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16946

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located immediately to the N of Llanrhychwyn church.

County: Conwy

Community: Trefriw

Community: Trefriw

Locality: Llanrychwyn

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Trefriw

Exterior

Square C18 rubble lychgate, gabled with old slate roof and rubble gable parapets. Opposing openings with exposed timber lintels; that to the N is inscribed: ` IT ID OT 1462 WO,' (for churchwardens), though the 4 has been recarved and should be a 7. Pegged oak frame and early C20 plain oak gate; rough stone slab floor and narrow stone benching to interior E and W sides.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with Llanrhychwyn church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Llanrhychwyn Church
    Situated on an upland plateau approximately 1.2km S of Trefriw and 0.3km E of Lake Geirionydd; set back slightly to the SE of the road between the two.
  • II Taliesin Monument
    Located on a natural mount at the N end of Lake Geirionydd.
  • II Milestone
    Located on the roadside, approximately 500m S of Trefriw between Pant-y-Carw cottage and Ysgubor Gerrig; in front of a low rubble wall.
  • II Bron Edda
    Located at the SE edge of the town on a hillside, backing onto the Coed y Wern; at the end of a short lane leading S from the Pont-y-Pandy.
  • II Tan-y-Celyn
    Located at right-angles with the road at the southern approach of the town.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.
  • II Pont -y- Pandy
    Spanning the Afon Crafnant immediately above the Fairy Falls at the western extremity of the town.
  • II Chaff mill and carthouse at Cwmannog
    Located on the roadside 50m SW of Cwmannog farmhouse and set against a hill-slope to the rear.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.