This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7853 / 51°47'7"N
Longitude: -3.1755 / 3°10'31"W
OS Eastings: 319011
OS Northings: 210278
OS Grid: SO190102
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.YLY9
Mapcode Global: VH6CV.XD37
Entry Name: NE Roundhouse at Roundhouse Farm
Listing Date: 29 June 1950
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 17086
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Roundhouse Farm is situated on the valley bottom, W of Nantyglo. Farm reached off the end of Waun Ebbw Road. NE tower located alongside main entrance to farmyard.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Community: Nantyglo and Blaina (Nantyglo a Blaenau)
Community: Nantyglo and Blaina
Built-Up Area: Nantyglo
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built c. 1822 by Joseph Bailey, ironmaster, as one of two fortified stronghouses to protect himself and his family in case of rebellion by the workers at his Nantyglo ironworks. The nearby Nantyglo House, built for Bailey following his purchase of the ironworks in 1811, has long been demolished. There was serious rioting in Nantyglo in 1816 following an attempt to cut wages. In 1822, riots sparked by a cut in wages were suppressed by the military, and a detachment of Scots Greys were billeted nearby. The roof, floor-joists, window-sills, frames and fireplaces of the building were all of iron. The building was later used as the farmhouse to Roundhouse Farm, before the present house was built in the early C20.
Circular rubble-built tower with slightly battered base (walls c. 1.2 metres thick). Two storeys. Narrow rectangular windows, some with iron grilles, sills and lintels. Door faces SW; shallow porch, slated above. Iron door made of rivetted plates has circular holes (said to be musket holes) sealed by iron flaps. To right of doorway, iron grille to cellar.
Cellar and two floors; flooring lost, but retains iron joists. Stairs curve around inner wall up to iron roof, which consists of slotted iron segments overlaid with brick. Parapet wall with stones set on edge.
Listed as an historically and architecturally important building, unusual for using iron in its construction and, for its C19 date, in being fortified.
Other nearby listed buildings