This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7848 / 51°47'5"N
Longitude: -3.1763 / 3°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 318955
OS Northings: 210227
OS Grid: SO189102
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.YLRZ
Mapcode Global: VH6CV.WDPM
Entry Name: Agricultural Range at Roundhouse Farm
Listing Date: 30 July 1996
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 17087
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Roundhouse Farm is situated on the valley bottom, W of Nantyglo. Farm reached off the end of Waun Ebbw Road, with the agricultural range situated S of the early C20 farmhouse.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Community: Nantyglo and Blaina (Nantyglo a Blaenau)
Community: Nantyglo and Blaina
Built-Up Area: Nantyglo
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Believed to have originated as part of the Nantyglo Ironworks in c. 1795, before the works were purchased by Joseph Bailey and Matthew Wayne in 1811. Nantyglo House, built by Bailey, which stood nearby has long been demolished, but the two fortified stronghouses to protect himself and his family in case of rebellion by the workers at his Nantyglo ironworks survive. The building is of at least two periods (S end of main range and S crosswing have roofs with wooden trusses; rest of building has iron trusses). Used as part of ironworks for storage, and for stabling of tramroad ponies (some foundations of tramroad survive in farmyard). Main range formerly continued to N; east end of N cross-wing formerly cottages. Became part of farm in later C19 when one of the roundhouses was converted into a farmhouse.
Two-storey U-plan agricultural range; long side aligned N-S with end cross-wings on E side. Local brown ironstone rubble. Slate roofs, some replaced in corrugated sheeting. Several doors and window frames of iron survive: of special interest as originating at local works. South side of N wing has altered fenestration; iron loading platform at angle with main block. At ground floor level, 3 doors and 3 windows with cambered heads. Main block has to S, 3-window section (S of vertical masonry joint); 3 camber-headed first floor windows, outer windows with iron-frame glazing, centre window blocked (loading door with iron loading platform at angle); on ground floor, central camber-headed doorway flanked by camber-headed windows with iron-frame glazing.
To N of this, longer section with 3 first floor camber-headed loading doors (iron frames); on ground floor, two doorways visible, that to left being a later insertion; other is camber-headed with iron frame: four camber-headed windows with iron glazing, red brick C20 lean-to obscures further door and window.
N side of S wing has mainly later inserted openings, but small square windows at eaves and camber-headed window to left on ground floor; gable end rebuilt with first floor doorway. S side of S wing was two small windows to left on each floor (one first floor window blocked). Rear of main range has small windows at first floor level, and two blocked loading doors; ground floor window to N, ruins of bull-pen to S. N side of N wing mainly obscured by later lean-to additions.
South end of main range, and S cross-wing have roofs with wooden trusses; rest of building has rare iron truss construction consisting of tie-beam trusses with raking struts; hips of roof also use iron trusses, slates wired to iron rafters. Floors supported on L-section iron beams. Ground floor of main range has 3 transverse arches through which iron tie-bars are built. Former pigsty in S corner. In S wing, former stable with cobbled floor and iron tethering; in S wing, former stable with cobbled floor and iron tethering; in S wing at first floor level, wooden crane near gable loading door. In N wing, E end was formerly cottages with accommodation on both floors.
Listed for historic interest of association with important ironworks, and for its early use of iron construction.
Other nearby listed buildings