This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5608 / 51°33'39"N
Longitude: -3.0265 / 3°1'35"W
OS Eastings: 328934
OS Northings: 185162
OS Grid: ST289851
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DX0N
Mapcode Global: VH7BK.H1B8
Entry Name: The Mill including attached Stable to the South
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 17102
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The Mill is set behind the Lesser Barn, located on the East side of the outer yard, SE of Tredegar House. The stable is aligned on a N/S axis, located immediately to the rear of the Information Centr
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). The Estate was self-sufficient throughout the C17- C20. The Mill is shown on the Estate Map of 1827 by William Jones and the stable range probably dates from late C19. After the Morgan family died out in 1951, the house and its grounds were used as a boarding school. Owned by Newport Borough Council since 1974 when it became open to the public along with its grounds.
Early C19 corn mill aligned on an E/W axis. Three storey, brick elevations beneath hipped, slated roof. South elevation has central gabled pentice with two long, vertically aligned loading doorways beneath; each with boarded door. Casement window beneath. Three vertically aligned windows to left hand side with boarded door to left. Remainder of S elevation obscured by attached stable block, except for a single casement window at second floor level at the right hand end. W end has two porthole windows with doorway to right hand side. E end has central boarded doorway with window above. N elevation has evidence of demolished W range with large blocked ground floor opening at right hand side, (W), with boarded doorway above. Three further doorways to left hand side. Casement window and slot, possibly for drive belt at first floor level. The stable is a small, single storey stable block attached to the S side of the Mill, aligned on a N/S axis. Probably late C19 with elevations of random rubble with red brick dressings to window and door surrounds. Gabled slated roof with single central gabled louvered ventilator. Central broad planked door with rectangular light over. Modern windows in original openings. Rear (W) elevation blank.
The Mill has original roof structure with oak principals and pegged and trenched purlins remain. C19 drive shafts, drive wheel and fly wheels remain within ground, first and second floors. Stable not available for inspection at time of re-survey, February 1996.
Listed grade II for the special interest of this early C19 cornmill and for group value with other listed items at Tredegar House.
Other nearby listed buildings