This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5608 / 51°33'38"N
Longitude: -3.0278 / 3°1'39"W
OS Eastings: 328849
OS Northings: 185156
OS Grid: ST288851
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DWN0
Mapcode Global: VH7BK.G1PB
Plus Code: 9C3RHX6C+8V
Entry Name: Bothy and Potting Shed to the West of Bryans Building
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 17108
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set immediately to the West of Bryans Building on an E/W axis and serving the Kitchen garden
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). The Estate was self-sufficient throughout the C17- C20. The bothy and potting shed is shown on the Estate map of 1827 by William Jones. Shown as backing onto the vinery, now demolished, which extended the length of the building.
Single storey outbuilding, aligned on an E/W axis with brick elevation and slated lean-to roof. Two centrally placed brick stacks, one of which appears to have heated the vinery, formerly on the S side (now demolished). N elevation has six, two-light Yorkshire sliding sashes, with three doorways with boarded doors, one to the bothy at W end, one at the E end to the potting shed and the central doorway leading to the boiler room. Cast iron water pump to front of boiler room.
The bothy at the W end retains a simple C19 fireplace with flanking cupboards with simple planked doors. The potting shed was formerly the Eastern most room and retains benches with cupboards over.
Listed grade II for historic interest as a surviving example of an estate garden building and for group value with the Tredegar estate complex.
Other nearby listed buildings