This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5603 / 51°33'37"N
Longitude: -3.0283 / 3°1'41"W
OS Eastings: 328811
OS Northings: 185107
OS Grid: ST288851
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DWH0
Mapcode Global: VH7BK.G1DP
Entry Name: Garden walls to SE of Cedar Garden, inc gate piers, gates and flanking workshops
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 17100
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To S of Tredegar House, garden wall running SE from the Cedar Garden and with attached workshops at the SE end, flanking a pair of brick piers and wrought iron gates.
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). The walls and gate piers form part of the S perimeter to the formal gardens running parallel to the SW of the house, dating from the early C18. The workshops along the S boundary form part of the late C19 estate farm, and are much altered.
At the SE end of the longitudinal path through the walled garden is a pair of substantial, square brick gate piers. Approximately 4m in height in Flemish bond, with shallow stone plinth and projecting moulded coping, each with square urn finial of cup and cover form with scrolled acanthus to base and gadrooned cover over. Simple double iron gates with plain semicircular overthrow and guilloche lock bar. Random rubble walls to either side (NE/SW) step down from the piers and may survive from the Tudor house enclosure (?), now incorporated as the rear walls of the workshops. The workshops consist of an "L" shaped range of late C19 agricultural buildings, with brick front elevations and large segmental arched former cartshed openings with keystones, now infilled by modern glazed timber doors. Hipped slated roofs. The SW range having three hipped, louvered ventilators and large multi-paned ribbon windows. Three large arched brick doorways at N end now infilled with boarding.
Included for group value with other listed items associated with Tredegar House.
Other nearby listed buildings