This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6139 / 51°36'49"N
Longitude: -3.4081 / 3°24'28"W
OS Eastings: 302602
OS Northings: 191501
OS Grid: ST026915
Mapcode National: GBR HM.9HH3
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.WP5N
Plus Code: 9C3RJH7R+HQ
Entry Name: Calfaria Welsh Calvinistic Chapel and bordering railings, gates and piers
Listing Date: 1 August 1996
Last Amended: 1 August 1996
Source ID: 17119
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the corner of Porth Street and North Road towards the N of town.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Community: Porth (Y Porth)
Built-Up Area: Porth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1896/7, a daughter chapel of Bethlehem Chapel Pontypridd Road and with links to Calfaria Chapel Cymmer; planned by Reverend W.D. Jones of Ton Pentre, builders Charles Jenkins and Sons of Porth.
Of rock faced sandstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Main Porth Street frontage 2 storey gable end facade is regularly coursed and has at first floor 5 window range incorporating some coloured glass, the 2 outer segmental arched with margin glazed sashes, sills and continuous hoodmould with keystone and the centre 3 similar but narrower and round arched with circular upper lights; above are a platband and 2 small round headed windows with replaced glazing flanked by 2 keyed louvred oculi with circular inscription plaque at gable apex; billet eaves moulding and terra cotta finial; ground floor has 2 pairs of segmental arched margin glazed sash windows incorporating some coloured glass, with impost band either side of central doorway bay; this is of tooled ashlar and breaks forward and consists of a round arch with voussoirs, keystone and moulded impost band, double 6 panelled doors with coloured glass divided overlight and inscription panel above. Side (North Road) elevation is 3 storeys high including basement and 3 bays long with round headed margin glazed sash windows, the centre triple, blocked to E, all with ashlar voussoirs, keystones, quoins and sills; 4 decorative inscription panels above plinth, coursed rubble below. The chapel is bordered on 2 sides by low stone wall with decorative metal railings and rock faced piers, those flanking the entrance gates with pyramidal capstones.
Classical interior. Vestibule has a 10-pane coloured glass window and decorative 6-panel doors. Two lead to gallery stairs and 2 to main interior which is dominated by a large organ with richly carved and polished case incorporating very decorative painted pipework installed 1900 by Conacher and Co of Huddersfield and set in high basket arched moulded plaster recess comprising fluted piers with decorative capitals and moulded entablature with keystone; in front is a richly carved and panelled pulpit and set fawr with moulded wooden stairs and brass lights on either side and richly moulded communion rail in front; boarded floor. Four fluted cast iron piers with Corinthian capitals support the raked 3 sided gallery with panelled pews and moulded panelled front with central clock. Ceiling has moulded cornice and decorative boarded panels incorporating 6 ventilators, 1 large central and 2 smaller decorative moulded roses. Further Sunday School and meeting rooms to rear and below.
Listed as a well-preserved example of a late C19 chapel with high-quality interior fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings