History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Porth, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6144 / 51°36'51"N

Longitude: -3.4074 / 3°24'26"W

OS Eastings: 302645

OS Northings: 191558

OS Grid: ST026915

Mapcode National: GBR HM.9HMB

Mapcode Global: VH6DH.WPG8

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 1 August 1996

Last Amended: 1 August 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17121

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in a prominent position on hillside in N part of town.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Porth

Community: Porth (Y Porth)

Community: Porth

Locality: Birchgrove

Built-Up Area: Porth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Porth

History

Built 1886 by E M Bruce Vaughan with some later additions. Originally known as St Paul's Penrhiwgwynt in the Parish of Llanwonno it became part of new parish of Cymmer with Porth in 1890. Refurbished in 1925 by Herbert North, architect of Llanfairfechan - his only known work in South Wales.

Exterior

Gothic. Of snecked rock faced sandstone, with ashlar dressings, rock faced quoins, decorative clay ridge tiles to chancel, apex crosses and Welsh slate roof. Comprises nave, slightly lower chancel, gabled lower N aisle added 1911, cross gabled S porch, belltower unusually at ESE corner. S frontage has cusped lancets with hoodmoulds and stops and intervening buttresses; belltower has narrow lights and cusped louvres; E and W nave windows have geometric tracery; N aisle has perp W and wide N windows; sillband and plinth. Surrounded E W and S by rubble stone wall with mostly saddleback coping to S and iron rails to E.

Interior

Of 5 bays open to simple hammer beam shape roof. Main interest is unusual bayed chancel screen of slender narrow pointed arches of painted wood and metal on stone plinth and richly painted wood reredos with emblems of the passion and saints under canopies, part of the 1925 refurbishment which also includes stained glass in E window by F C Eden and painted ceiling panels above altar.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the interest of its 1925 refurbishment by Herbert North and for its dominant position in the townscape.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.