This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8288 / 52°49'43"N
Longitude: -3.4614 / 3°27'41"W
OS Eastings: 301632
OS Northings: 326694
OS Grid: SJ016266
Mapcode National: GBR 6K.TZLG
Mapcode Global: WH67M.S5W7
Plus Code: 9C4RRGHQ+GC
Entry Name: Tyn-y-Cablyd
Listing Date: 9 August 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 17145
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At end of minor road which leads from Llangynog to Pennant Melangell. About 800m north-west of the church of St Melangell, across stream south-west of the modern farmhouse.
Community: Llangynog (LLangynog)
Locality: Cwm Pennant
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Origin possibly as a cruck-framed late mediaeval hall-house built downslope, with a central two-bay hall (dais screen to south, upslope of the hall), converted by the addition of a chimney and an upper floor perhaps in the C17 into a one-and-a-half storey, lobby-entry house. Having been unoccupied and in poor state since the 1970s, the house has recently undergone extensive restoration with the loss of the C17? stairs at west of the chimney.
The name Tyddyn (or Tyn-y-) Cablyd applied to this farm - Maundy Thursday Farm - is presumably pre-Reformation; said to arise from a custom of pilgrims coming here prior to Easter (for Maundy almsgiving or for tonsuring?). One of the nearby fields in 1839 was also called Cablyd.
Tyn-y-Cablyd was also the location of the first Sunday School in Pennant, c.1807; it had been registered as a meeting house from c.1770. In 1839 it was recorded as part of the estate of R B Maurice esq., a farm (homestead, garden &c) tenanted by David Davies with about 182 acres.
Ty''''''''n-y-Cablyd is a stone farmhouse aligned roughly north-south, with its south end built into the hillside. Restored graded random slate roof with pronounced overhang; tall central stone chimney and smaller stone chimney at lower gable end. Slight difference of ridge height each side of main chimney. The east front has a roughly central gabled porch (wall to right set slightly back), boarded door with gabled hood; two mullion-and-transom windows to each side of doorway. Mullion windows at rear and in ends. Gabled mullion-window dormer to right, similar dormer restored to left.
To the rear the roof sweeps down to a low-pitched lean-to (former wash-house) now linking the house with the other buildings of the group. Small in-roof dormer with catslide roof lighting the upper storey. At right there is a low monopitch outbuilding at right angles.
Lobby-entry from east side with two ground floor rooms to each side of the chimney. To the south the former dairy (original parlour?) is separated from living room (two-bay hall) by a restored post-and-panel partition including a restored doorway to east. The living room has a wide fireplace. Heavy chamfered beam and stop-chamfered joists. To the north of the chimney the parlour and service room are side by side. The parlour, to east, has a large axial beam and is separated from service room by an axial partition. The roof has restored straight wind-braces. Much of the old roof-structure remains.
An example of a late mediaeval hall-house classically converted to storeyed form, recently restored to much of its character.
Other nearby listed buildings