History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glasbury Gate Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Glasbury, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0483 / 52°2'53"N

Longitude: -3.2004 / 3°12'1"W

OS Eastings: 317775

OS Northings: 239562

OS Grid: SO177395

Mapcode National: GBR YY.F0RN

Mapcode Global: VH6BH.GSX3

Entry Name: Glasbury Gate Cottage

Listing Date: 18 January 1996

Last Amended: 18 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17181

Building Class: Commercial

Location: The building is located at the side of the road, at the N approach to Glasbury village.

County: Powys

Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)

Community: Glasbury

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Glasbury

History

Toll cottage of c1830-40, appearing on the tithe map of 1841, and probably the scene of the only recorded incident in the area during the Rebecca Riots of 1843-4.

Exterior

Rubble stone with hipped slate roof. Single storey, 3 bays, the centre bay brought forward and canted, with the roof correspondingly hipped. Lean-to extension to rear, behind central stone stack. Mid C20 timber windows and lean-to on N side.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a surviving example of the range of toll cottages that were built to tax movement on the highway in the early C19.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Crescent House
    Located on the corner of the B.4350 through Glasbury to Boughrood, and the former B.4350 to Hereford.
  • II Maesllwch Arms Hotel
    The hotel is located on the N side of the village behind a large forecourt and against the former driveway to Maesllwch Castle.
  • II Grangeton
    The house is located within the village, to the E of the Maesllwch Arms Hotel placed with the gable to the road, the main elevation facing E.
  • II Lamb House
    Located within the village of Glasbury, almost opposite the Maesllwch Arms Hotel. The main house is set at right angles with its gable close upon the road from Glasbury to Boughrood.
  • II Green House
    Located on the N side of the triangular Green, at the centre of the village.
  • II Glasbury House
    The house is located in its own grounds E of The Green, near the centre of Glasbury village.
  • II Glasbury United Reformed Chapel
    The chapel is situated in a walled enclosure at the centre of the SE side of The Green, with its gable facing on to the Green.
  • II Treble Hill Baptist Chapel
    Located in a conspicuous position on the Brecknock end of the causeway to Glasbury bridge, with its entrance gable behind a narrow forecourt facing the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.