This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0675 / 52°4'2"N
Longitude: -3.1799 / 3°10'47"W
OS Eastings: 319216
OS Northings: 241669
OS Grid: SO192416
Mapcode National: GBR YY.CZVJ
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.T9SD
Plus Code: 9C4R3R8C+X2
Entry Name: Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17208
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The Old Vicarage is located in the village, 200m SW of the parish church, set in its own gardens, and facing the road to Moity and Gogia, and 150m from the main A.438 Brecon to Hereford road.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The present unassuming house contains a 3-bay sub-medieval cruck built hall house, adapted in the late C16-early C17 by the insertion of an axial stack to form a lobby entry [Type D] plan. The house was the first residence of Revd. 'Tom' Williams, vicar from 1859, and friend of Francis Kilvert, curate at neighbouring Clyro.
Grey sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. One storey, raised at the front to 2 storeys, 3 bays, lobby entry plan with a lean-to stone porch between bays 2 and 3, opposite the main stack. Additional S gable stack. Door in C20 extension at the N end. C20 double-glazed windows with concrete lintels, the upper windows slightly breaking through eaves and the roof raised in a shallow rake. The roof extends down at the rear, and has an external stack.
The building retains evidence for 4 pairs of crucks defining a central 1-bay open hall, with parlour at S end, and services in the N bay. Double axial ovolo moulded beams in parlour, flanking position of earlier stair, the present stair now in the N end kitchen bay. The second truss, of full crucks, spans 6m, and has tie and 2 collars lap-trenched and half-dovetailed on N side, the crucks vertically butted and tenoned at the apex, carry a halved circular timber set flat.
Included as a small but relatively complete cruck built house of the sub-medieval period, possibly originally erected for a priest.
Other nearby listed buildings