History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Dock Offices at Y Felinheli

A Grade II Listed Building in Y Felinheli, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1872 / 53°11'13"N

Longitude: -4.2054 / 4°12'19"W

OS Eastings: 252738

OS Northings: 367833

OS Grid: SH527678

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.3BWK

Mapcode Global: WH54D.C4NZ

Entry Name: Former Dock Offices at Y Felinheli

Listing Date: 3 October 1996

Last Amended: 18 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17381

Building Class: Maritime

Location: At bottom of road from village to harbour, on S side of harbour, opposite drawbridge.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Y Felinheli

Community: Y Felinheli

Community: Y Felinheli

Built-Up Area: Y Felinheli

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Built circa 1902 as offices for newly redeveloped Port Dinorwic; later extended and converted to restaurant/public house.

Exterior

Slate-hung walls in fish-scale slates of three alternating colour bands: grey, purple, and green. Steeply-pitched hipped roofs with contrasting bands of coloured slate and two rendered chimneys, one on front roof hip, one on rear ridge. L-plan, single-storey with later polygonal-ended conservatory filling angle. Hipped end to harbour has two 4-light metal casement windows of c1930-50, and to left a similar 5-light window and doorway in flat-roofed extension, slate-hung to match.

Infilling the angle is later canted-ended conservatory with canted hipped roof and hipped raised clerestorey, the glazing all altered. Within is earlier 5-light bay window. Modern additions to right of conservatory. Slate-hanging to exterior may be of similar date to extensions and windows, mid C20.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for group value with Dock System at Port Dinorwic.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ffinfa
    Situated on the SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, NE of the War Memorial and between No 1 Bodarborth and Cae Gwyn. Set behind contemporary stone wall with panelled timber gate.
  • II Bodarborth
    Situated on the SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, some 200m NE of the War Memorial. Set behind contemporary low stone walls with matching timber gates.
  • II Cae Gwyn
    Situated towards NE of Y Felinheli on SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, some 100m NE of the War Memorial and next to Ffinfa. Set behind stone front wall with Gothic timber gate.
  • II No. 2 Bodarborth
    Situated on the SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, some 200m NE of the War Memorial. Set behind contemporary low stone walls with matching timber gates.
  • II Dock System at Y Felinheli
    Below village of Felinheli, aligned roughly E-W, curving slightly to follow line of natural inlet, the whole system some 500m long.
  • II War Memorial
    Situated diagonally set to main road, in corner of the grounds of Church House, by the road running SE to the former railway station.
  • II Former Railway Station
    At the end of a short road running SE off Stryd Bangor from the War Memorial.
  • II South Dock and quay walls at Y Felinheli
    Situated to the S of the main dock system at Y Felinheli. The dock wall runs from the Garddfon Inn in the S to the lock gates in the N.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.