History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Dock and quay walls at Y Felinheli

A Grade II Listed Building in Y Felinheli, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1858 / 53°11'9"N

Longitude: -4.2098 / 4°12'35"W

OS Eastings: 252439

OS Northings: 367696

OS Grid: SH524676

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.39TT

Mapcode Global: WH54D.96K0

Entry Name: South Dock and quay walls at Y Felinheli

Listing Date: 18 April 1997

Last Amended: 18 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18343

Building Class: Maritime

Location: Situated to the S of the main dock system at Y Felinheli. The dock wall runs from the Garddfon Inn in the S to the lock gates in the N.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Y Felinheli

Community: Y Felinheli

Community: Y Felinheli

Built-Up Area: Y Felinheli

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Large rectangular tidal basin probably the 'New Quay' which was built between 23 November 1839 and 12 January 1841. Its main function was the loading of slate from the Dinorwic quarry. The tidal inlet of the Afon Heilyn just to the N was also used for this purpose.

Exterior

Large rectangular basin with walls of massive squared stone blocks and with massive stone slab capstones. Basin has opening at NW corner with rounded ends to piers, sloping ramp down to the wayet along inside of W side. From NW corner stone embankment continues along waterline to link with the lock entrance to the 1900-02 dock system (q/v.). From SW the embankment continues along waterline and returns E to the Garddfon Inn.

Reasons for Listing

A fine example of an earlier C19 dock, and an important part of the dock system developed from the 1790's to 1903 for the export of the Dinorwic Quarry slate.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Chimney Stack at South Dock
    Situated to the S of the South Dock at Y Felinheli.
  • II Arvonia
    Situated in the centre of Y Felinheli, some 150m SW of War Memorial, on the SE side of main street.
  • II War Memorial
    Situated diagonally set to main road, in corner of the grounds of Church House, by the road running SE to the former railway station.
  • II Former Railway Station
    At the end of a short road running SE off Stryd Bangor from the War Memorial.
  • II Cae Gwyn
    Situated towards NE of Y Felinheli on SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, some 100m NE of the War Memorial and next to Ffinfa. Set behind stone front wall with Gothic timber gate.
  • II Ffinfa
    Situated on the SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, NE of the War Memorial and between No 1 Bodarborth and Cae Gwyn. Set behind contemporary stone wall with panelled timber gate.
  • II Former Dock Offices at Y Felinheli
    At bottom of road from village to harbour, on S side of harbour, opposite drawbridge.
  • II Bodarborth
    Situated on the SE side of main road, Stryd Bangor, some 200m NE of the War Memorial. Set behind contemporary low stone walls with matching timber gates.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.