History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penlan-hafodwen including attached byre (also known as Penlan-capel)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Ystrad, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1371 / 52°8'13"N

Longitude: -4.1696 / 4°10'10"W

OS Eastings: 251610

OS Northings: 250973

OS Grid: SN516509

Mapcode National: GBR DN.7DDR

Mapcode Global: VH3K6.PK12

Entry Name: Penlan-hafodwen including attached byre (also known as Penlan-capel)

Listing Date: 18 October 1996

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17433

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Reached at end of short lane off N side of by-road, 0.5km SW of Cribyn.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Locality: Capel Sain Silin

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanwnen

History

Later C18 farmhouse with byre attached. Typical C19 alteration included the central house entry replacing the chimney entry off the cross-passage. Shown on 1843 Tithe map, when the owner and occupier was David Jones.

Exterior

Rubble construction with cob to upper front walls. Rough plinth. Byre is whitewashed, but house is coloured, once a typical upland practice. Corrugated-iron roofs, covering thatch. Rubble gable chimney-stacks, thicker to left. Three-bay house front, offset to right. Two upper C20 steel windows rising to close eaves. Small ground floor 4-pane horned sashes with timber lintels. C20 central door within added simple porch. Small blocked window to left at mid-storey level, which served former stair. Rubble right end with open garage attached. Rear with later rubble outshut having two-light 4-pane casement to E. NE (rear) corner of house is bullnosed (the front has quoin-stones).

Byre at left (downslope) end. Upper walls and gable of cob construction. Boarded door to right (former cross-passage entry). Three small windows to left, that towards the end is inserted. Timber lintels. Bullnosed corner. Divided boarded door at gable end, timber lintel. Loop to rear. Cross-passage has no rear exit door.

Interior

Kitchen (left room) with massive rough beam, sawn joists. Original roof structure complete, consisting of three pairs of scarfed crucks with rough pegged collars and paired purlins. Thatch and scantling underthatch fully visible. Cross-passage door blocked: it entered the kitchen underneath the stair, the latter a single-flight replacement. Byre with three pairs of scarfed crucks, pegged collars and paired purlins. Thatch and scantlings complete. Part of a planked partition survives, dividing off the cross-passage (possibly original).

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding window alterations, for its well-preserved character as an upland farmhouse with byre. Roof structures of special interest.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.