History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Felin-hafodwen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanfihangel Ystrad, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1365 / 52°8'11"N

Longitude: -4.1699 / 4°10'11"W

OS Eastings: 251592

OS Northings: 250914

OS Grid: SN515509

Mapcode National: GBR DN.7DBR

Mapcode Global: VH3K6.NKXH

Entry Name: Felin-hafodwen

Listing Date: 18 October 1996

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17436

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated on E side of by-road, some 0.5km SW of Cribyn.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Locality: Capel Sain Silin

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanwnen

History

Late C18/early C19, indicated on 1843 Tithe map. Machinery probably post-1850. Extended c.1880. Mentioned in a lease of 1633 and possibly belonged originally to the pre-Reformation monastic grange of Hafodwen, a possession of the monastery at Strata Florida. Owned in 1843 by the Earl of Lisbourne, occupier, David Jones.

Exterior

Rubble built, slate roof. Original building was rectangular, extended to S and W in c.1880, bringing the (W) gable hard up to the road. Built into rising ground. N side with central door rising to eaves, entering building at first floor level. Divided boarded door to right (in added part), approached by stone steps. Dormer gable over doorway. W end with long roof-slope to right. Large 4-pane first floor window with timber lintel and slate sill. Two-light 12-pane casement to right with similar head and sill. Ground floor with boarded door to left, cambered brick head. Twelve-pane casement as above to centre, brick head. Boarded door to right with cambered yellow brick head. E end retains cast-iron overshot waterwheel, made by Jones, Priory Foundry, Carmarthen. Cast-concrete launder. Large window to gable with timber lintel. The wheel was powered by a leat, supplied from a pond above. This and the outlying leat system is mostly obselete. S side with added c.1880 lean-to portion occupying most of length: C20 first floor window, small 4-pane ground floor window. Open lean-to to right in angle between addition and original portion. Old fabric has 6-pane window to first floor.

Interior

Most of the machinery is intact: it is of the primitve pre spur-wheel "Vitruvian" Type, where the pit wheel drives the single stone nut directly. Iron pit-wheel with wooden teeth. Cast-iron stone nut with cast-on lugs to allow it to be lifted out of gear by a (missing) windlass under the hurst. Chains of oat-sieve survive. Horse-frame and hopper: single pair of stones. Large worn detached grindstone to first floor. The late C19 extensions provided a drying-room to the W. Rubble kiln-opening with primitive part-loft above.

Deteriorating in parts, especially on W side (January 1996).

Reasons for Listing

Listed Grade II * for its exceptional historic interest as a rare survival of a "Vitruvian" mill in SW Wales with the primitive machinery largely intact. Most of the known examples in Cardiganshire are ruined or altered.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.