This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1045 / 53°6'16"N
Longitude: -2.9494 / 2°56'57"W
OS Eastings: 336537
OS Northings: 356788
OS Grid: SJ365567
Mapcode National: GBR 77.8J2G
Mapcode Global: WH88S.N7RC
Plus Code: 9C5V4332+Q7
Entry Name: The Courtyard (formerly known as Trevalyn Hall Service Wing)
Listing Date: 18 October 1996
Last Amended: 18 October 1996
Source ID: 17465
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated, and adjoined to, the rear of Trevalyn Hall by a linking corridor and Porter's Lodge. In its own grounds to the south-east of the B5102, Chester Road.
Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Probably built slightly later than Trevalyn Hall of 1576 to which it is connected and for which it acted as the service wing until sold in 1984. It has been suggested by Mark Girouard that together with Trevalyn Hall, the linking corridor, and Porters Lodge, the entire site represents an uncompleted Elizabethan house for John Trevor. The eastern and southern wings having been completed but the central section, which would have contained a Great Hall and been connected at the north ends of the surviving buildings was never completed. Foundations for such a Great Hall were found when new gardens were laid out to the north in the mid-C19. The designer is unknown but Girouard suggests that it was John Trevor himself with the assistance of master-mason Walter Hancock of Much Wenlock. The Trevors claimed descent from the C10 Welsh prince Tudor Trevor. John Trevor's great-grandfather, Richard Trevor, had originally acquired the estate by marriage to Matilda, daughter and heiress of Jenkyn ap David ap Griffith of Trevalyn. John Trevor made his fortune in London largely through the patronage of the powerful Thomas Sackville, the Lord Buckhurst and Earl of Dorset, who was his wife's cousin. He also held a few minor government posts as recorded on his monument in the parish church at Gresford. With Sackville he is assumed to have made a grand tour of France and Italy between about 1563 and 1566, and again to France in 1568 and 1571. Of his four sons only one, Richard, spent time at Trevalyn and even then preferred to stay at another house built by his father, Roft Hall, in Marford (demolished). In the 1670's the family inherited Glynde Place in Sussex which henceforward became their principal seat and Trevalyn was occupied by a succession of stewards and agents. In 1836 descendents through marriage, Thomas and Elizabeth Griffith, moved in and made extensive alterations internally and externally. These included the re-siting of the Porter's Lodge, creation of the topiary garden to the north-east, and extensive internal alterations by the local architect Thomas Jones. The estate was sold in 1984 to property developers who subdivided the Hall into two flats, sealed the Service Wing off from the link corridor and re-named it "The Courtyard".
Constructed of brick with stone dressings on a stone plinth of five exposed courses. The eastern facade is a copy of the western elevation of the Elizabethan style of Trevalyn Hall, i.e. projecting cross wings to north and south of two storeys plus attic storey. On a H-plan but with single storey later additions to north, south, and western facades. Large stone mullion and transomed windows to two storeys with double-light blind attic windows to stone coped, and tulip shaped finialed, gables. Windows to first and attic storey have triangular pediments. Pediments to first storey contain armorial bearings. Brick chimney stacks to the inside returns of cross-wings. Central section of three bays with large stone four-light transomed and mullioned windows to second storey. Link corridor joins at first storey. To the south wall of the south cross-wing is a later single storey extension which may have been the principal entrance after the removal of the linking corridor and Porters Lodge in the 1830's. In use as a stable at the time of re-survey. To the north wall of the north cross-wing a small single storey extension, probably designed as a garden feature, retains some features found on early C19 Cottage Orne estate houses in Marford and Rossett including blind ogee-arched Gothick window, Gothick lancet window to rear wall, blind arrow slit, and pebbledash render. Garden wall to the north west also retains some render, arrow slits, and blind triangular pedimented door.
Western elevation has no decorative enrichment, or the symmetry apparent to the other facades. Contained in a brick walled courtyard. Centrally placed chimney stack, single storey brick lean-to to right of stack. Late C19/early C20 wooden multipaned windows. New entrance under new triangular pediment constructed in the 1980's.
Listed as an important and unusual survivor of a service wing to an Elizabethan country house.
Other nearby listed buildings