This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2362 / 52°14'10"N
Longitude: -4.1913 / 4°11'28"W
OS Eastings: 250460
OS Northings: 262040
OS Grid: SN504620
Mapcode National: GBR DM.170B
Mapcode Global: VH3JT.92L2
Plus Code: 9C4Q6RP5+FF
Entry Name: Outbuilding on S side of farmyard at Monachty
Listing Date: 23 May 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17490
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated along main S length of farmyard, separated from SE building by narrow gap.
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
History: Mid C19 range of lofted cart-horse stables and attached outbuilding, the centre section converted from a later C18 barn. The 1843 Tithe Map shows a range behind the house that may be this range.
Exterior: Rubble stone with slate roofs. Two-storeys. One main range and lower added E end section. Main range appears to comprise the earlier barn with altered openings and a range to W originally with lower roof raised up in earlier C19 to same roof height. From left the former barn has narrowed door with stone voussoirs, inserted window to left with stone voussoirs and small loft light over. There are two outer vent loops under eaves, with blocked similar loops to ground floor. Further right, a 12-pane window in a tall former door and cambered-headed door, both with stone voussoirs. One enlarged loft opening over the window. The last section to right has straight joint at first floor level. Ground floor window, door with overlight and window (apparently in former door), all with stone voussoirs and one loft light over door. Outside stone steps to loft.
Rear of the main range has marks of much altered stonework. Four casement-pair loft lights under eaves. Added SE gabled wing, with W side much rebuilt in brick.
At E end of main range, added lower range has door to through passage and loft light above, at extreme right of range, otherwise windowless to yard. S side, to service drive, has three ground floor open bays with heavy flat timber lintels. Loft lights left of centre and left, the left one smaller. Blocked loading door in E end wall.
Interior: Main range has altered cart-horse stables to ground floor and two long 5-bay lofts. The first, to W, has marks of lower gable line each end and bolted collar trusses. The second has oak collar trusses with side-pegged scarfed wall-posts. There are two tiers of blocked vent loops of original E gable visible within added E range.
A well-preserved traditional farm range incorporating scarfed roof trusses of the later C18. Part of an exceptional group at Monachty.
Other nearby listed buildings