This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.236 / 52°14'9"N
Longitude: -4.1917 / 4°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 250432
OS Northings: 262021
OS Grid: SN504620
Mapcode National: GBR DM.16XX
Mapcode Global: VH3JT.92C6
Plus Code: 9C4Q6RP5+C8
Entry Name: Coach-House, stable and service courts at Monachty
Listing Date: 23 May 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17488
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated just N of the mansion, joined to NE angle.
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
History: Twin service courts of circa 1830-5, built for Col. A.T.J. Gwynne (d 1861). The courtyards do not appear on 1843 Tithe Map, possibly an error.
Exterior: Whitewashed stucco with slate hipped deep eaved roofs. Single-storey, surrounding two small courtyards, both open to S. Left courtyard has taller lofted E-facing coach-house to left, bracketed E gable with traceried roundel to loft and two ledged double doors to ground floor. The rest of the buildings are lower with deep eaved roofs. A short recessed section to right of coach-house has window and door to tack-room. Long N range is former stables with door and overlight each end and three small-paned casement-pair windows. E side is spine range between stable court and service court. Door to through passage left and two shuttered windows under eaves. S end returns slightly E and is hipped, roughcast on S side, facing house drive, with two 12-pane sashes.
Right, service, court has roofs deeply projecting, carried on N and W on chamfered timber posts. 5-bay N side, to left a through passage, three doors with overlights and a centre 12-pane window. E side has through passage to left, door with overlight, and window, and is joined to house NE corner. W side of spine range has door to through passage to right, two shuttered windows and door with overlight. Similar door in N wall of short return to E.
Long rear wall of whole group is stuccoed with arched doorway to through passage.
Interior: Stable has six stalls with fine C19 cast-iron dividers and columns with ball-finials. S end room of spine range has large copper wash-tub in brick surround.
Group value with Monachty and of special interest as unaltered and exceptional earlier C19 stable and service courts.
Other nearby listed buildings