History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glendower

A Grade II Listed Building in Ciliau Aeron, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2198 / 52°13'11"N

Longitude: -4.1667 / 4°10'0"W

OS Eastings: 252087

OS Northings: 260169

OS Grid: SN520601

Mapcode National: GBR DN.273T

Mapcode Global: VH3JT.QGLM

Entry Name: Glendower

Listing Date: 3 June 1964

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17527

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Terraced row situated on N side of village, stepped up steep slope and abutting rear of the Commercial Inn to S.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Locality: Cilcennin

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Cilcennin

History

Mid C19. Only a single cottage shown on site by the 1843 Tithe map, occupied by Elinor Davies and owned by David Lloyd and Lewis Morgan. The upper cottage has long been uninhabited.

Exterior

Two cottages of a terrace of three, both with different finishes. Slate roofs. Slated barges to upper cottage. Rubble party chimney stack with stone tabling: also rubble stack to right, shared with taller rear wing of the Commercial Inn. Glendower has 3-bay roughcast facade, offset to right: smooth rendered plinth. Small 12-pane hornless sash windows with painted slate sills. C20 central front door.

The upper cottage, between Glendower and the Commercial Inn has painted rubble 3-bay facade offset to right. All openings blocked with concrete blocks. Two upper windows with timber lintels and stone sills. Ground floor windows and central door with cambered stone voussoired heads.

Reasons for Listing

Attractive vernacular group with regional character in good village setting opposite the churchyard.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Attached Cottage to S of Glendower
    Terraced row situated on N side of village, stepped up steep slope and abutting rear of the Commercial Inn to S.
  • II The Commercial Inn
    Situated in village centre, E of church.
  • II The Old Vicarage
    Situated on E side of by-road on N side of village.
  • II Capel Sion
    Situated towards W end of village, set back to S of by-road next to school.
  • II Ty Mawr
    Reached at end of short drive off by-road, approximately 1km SW of Cilcennin.
  • II Entrance Gates to Ty Mawr
    Situated on E side of by-road, approximately 1km SW of Cilcennin.
  • II Orfa-ddu
    Situated immediately E of staggered cross-junction of minor roads, 0.5km N of Cilcennin.
  • II Pont Newydd
    Bridge carries Ciliau Aeron-Cilcennin by-road over River Aeron. 0.8km NE of Ciliau Aeron.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.