This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2075 / 53°12'26"N
Longitude: -3.7886 / 3°47'19"W
OS Eastings: 280638
OS Northings: 369318
OS Grid: SH806693
Mapcode National: GBR 64.1XVQ
Mapcode Global: WH65J.SM2X
Plus Code: 9C5R6646+XG
Entry Name: Pentrefelin and Bwthyn-y-felin
Listing Date: 12 November 1996
Last Amended: 12 November 1996
Source ID: 17570
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located approximately 1.5km S of Eglwysbach village, immediately to the W of the lane leading from Eglwysbach S towards Llanddoged and Maenan; set back slightly behind a partly-enclosed forecourt.
Community: Eglwysbach (Eglwys-bach)
Locality: Pentre' Felin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late C18 water-driven flour mill with miller's accommodation included. Internal graffiti dates range from 1795 to 1848; the mill was in use until c1948.
Rectangular rubble building set into a slope, with 3-storey main elevation, and 2-storey rear; red brick segmental heads to openings. Renewed, hipped slate roof with single squat chimney L of centre. 4-bay front with 2-bay mill section to R (now known as Pentrefelin) and miller's accommodation to L (Bwthyn-y-felin). The former has a wide entrance at R, with pegged wooden frame and modern boarded door. The domestic section has an entrance at L with modern door as before. Slightly-recessed modern sash-type windows (tilting upper sections) of 12- and 9 panes. Further modern windows to side and rear elevations of 6 to 12 panes. Single-storey gabled porch to L at rear, with former loading bay above, now a fixed sash window. To the R, a single-storey former bake-house projection at the corner with partly hipped roof; modern doors.
Large internal overshot waterwheel of approximately 6m diameter (partly disintigrated, June 1996), with secondary wheel operating the vertical driveshaft; the cast iron wheel has lost its paddles. Iron toothed crown wheel to first floor with associated layshafts and secondary drives. 3 large pairs of stones (two with modern boxing), mostly renewed timber hoppers; pulleys and wheels for mill pond sluicegate and sack hoist. 2 large panelled grain cupboards with raised and fielded panels to sides and hinged front. That to the R is the earlier and bears incised graffiti dates of 1795 and 1799; wooden hoppers above, that to R cupboard renewed. Also pulley-driven, a later C19 grinding machine with hopper as before, and consisting of a Christy and Norris `Disintigrator', and a `Eureka smut and separating machine' by Howes Babcock and co., New York (1865 model). 2 king post trusses to roof.
Listed for the special interest of its exceptionally complete internal machinery.
Other nearby listed buildings