This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5582 / 52°33'29"N
Longitude: -3.5355 / 3°32'7"W
OS Eastings: 296000
OS Northings: 296699
OS Grid: SN960966
Mapcode National: GBR 9H.CVKM
Mapcode Global: WH68R.NYMQ
Entry Name: Ty Brith
Listing Date: 12 November 1996
Last Amended: 12 November 1996
Source ID: 17574
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately 400m NW of the church. The house faces S on to a driveway and yard.
Built-Up Area: Carno
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A house is shown here on the Carno Tithe Map of 1849. By 1886 it had taken its present form with the building of a new house, and probably the remodelling of an earlier range as a service wing. The building has subsequently been used as a house and country club.
The building consists of a main range to E and service range to W. The main range has a 2-bay plan with an advanced gabled wing on the S side, and a parallel rear wing set back to the NW. Random rubble with larger quoins; slate roof with a single brick stack with diagonal shafts to the rear ridge. The openings are under segmental stone heads, and with stone sills; the windows are of consistent design with margin glazing. The entrance front has, in the upper storey, a blind window to the right, and a cross window to the left. In the lower storey, to the left is a 6-panel door under an overlight with margin glazing and a segmental head, and to the right a blind window. (A canopy was added to entrance front late C20). The E front has a gablet to the right, cross windows in the upper storey, and 3-light windows in the lower storey. The rear elevation has a cellar opening under a segmental head in the gable end, and to the right 2-light windows with Gothick glazing in upper and lower storeys. The service range is lower than the main range, is square in plan and has a gabled projection at the NW angle. Random rubble; hipped slate roof with 2 square brick stacks below the ridge. The windows all have cast iron Gothick-traceried glazing. The entrance is in the W front, entered through the gabled projection. In the lower storey the W front also has a 3-light window in the centre, and 2-light window to the right; in the upper storey are 3 equally-placed 2-light windows, all without sills. The S front has, to the right, a single 2-light window with sill in each storey, and a lean-to greenhouse on a brick plinth. The N elevation has 2x2-light windows in the lower storey and a single window to left in the upper storey. The gabled projection is single storey, of random rubble with a slate roof, and has a lean-to breeze block garage on the W side.
Not accessible at time of inspection (March-April 1996).
Listed as a mid C19 house deriving special character from the picturesque massing of its components, and its consistent Gothick detail.
Other nearby listed buildings