This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1537 / 53°9'13"N
Longitude: -3.123 / 3°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 325001
OS Northings: 362425
OS Grid: SJ250624
Mapcode National: GBR 70.59X6
Mapcode Global: WH776.0Z5Q
Plus Code: 9C5R5V3G+FR
Entry Name: Llettau at Pentrehobyn
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source ID: 17657
Building Class: Civil
Location: Linked to the east side of Pentrehobyn House by a short screen wall.
Community: Leeswood and Pontblyddyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
An inscribed plaque says that this range known as Llettau was built by Edward Lloyd when he built the house of Pentrehobyn but as it is undated it is not certain which family member is referred to. Both the primary house of mid C16 and the main C17 phase were built by Edward Lloyds of different generations. The plaque tells the tradition that the llettau were built as resting places for poor travellers who would formerly have stayed at the monasteries before their dissolution; if this is correct that points to a mid C16 date. However, although there was an undoubted vagrancy problem following the dissolution there was no monastery in this area to make a definitive connection and the llettau may equally have been associated with the 1601 Act that aimed to provide relief for the poor. Architecturally, some surviving detail suggests a C16 date although the chimney is more C17. Structurally, it is unusual that the cells are vaulted, rather than having timber roofs, if it was for use by travellers for temporary accommodation. The vaulting would more often imply use as stores, such as is found in semi-subterranean buildings. The size of the cells makes them unsuitable for horses or cattle and if they were used by vagrants it is surprising that even a benevolent landowner would want such people staying so close to the main house.
Low single-storey rubble stone range with massive stone slab roof divided into eight small cells and an attached 2-storey, part ashlar, block to the downhill (east) end believed to have been occupied by the warden or overseer. Each cell has a boarded door under a canted dressed stone lintel and a flanking tiny round-headed ventilation opening. Modern inscribed plaque to centre. The eastern two lletty have circular vents and slightly wider doorways. The 2-storey warden's house beyond is built of finer, partly ashlar, masonry and has gable parapets, simple rounded kneelers and a ball finial to the east gable apex; the other gable has stone chimney stack with weathercoursing. Plinth to east and north sides. The north side has outside stone steps to the upper floor. The main entrance was to the south side with canted Tudor-arched door below a 2-light window with rounded heads. The gable end has rectangular attic window and a camber-headed ground-floor window that has been lengthened through the plinth to form a tall but narrow doorway. Stepped up to the west is the rubble linking wall with pointed coping and small boarded door in chamfered opening with large jambs.
Individual cells are of slightly different sizes but all have cobbled floors and simple barrel vaulted stone roofs. They are about 1.8m high and 2m wide. Renovated interior to warden's house.
Listed Grade I as an example of a remarkable building type otherwise unknown in this context and for its association with Pentrehobyn.
Other nearby listed buildings