History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Enclosure Railings to Capel Neuaddlwyd

A Grade II Listed Building in Henfynyw, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2136 / 52°12'48"N

Longitude: -4.2343 / 4°14'3"W

OS Eastings: 247448

OS Northings: 259616

OS Grid: SN474596

Mapcode National: GBR DK.2NCJ

Mapcode Global: VH3JS.KMCF

Plus Code: 9C4Q6Q78+C7

Entry Name: Enclosure Railings to Capel Neuaddlwyd

Listing Date: 21 February 1996

Last Amended: 21 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17754

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on the S side of the Aeron valley, approximately 2.5 km SE of Aberaeron and on a minor road S of the A4687.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Henfynyw

Community: Henfynyw

Locality: Neuadd-Lwyd

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in


1906, Independent chapel, probably by David Davies of Penrhiwllan. An historically important congregation formed before 1746 from Ciliau Aeron. Became Methodist when Ciliau Aeron became Unitarian. Congregation grew fast especially under Rev. Thomas Phillips (1772-1842), minister from 1796. During his time, in 1818, missionaries were sent to Madagascar, among the first missionaries to that country. The chapel was rebuilt several times bewtween about 1760 and 1906.


Unpainted stucco with slate roof. Gable front of Venetian arrangement (derived from Seion, Llandysul by the Rev T. Thomas of 1870), that is four pilasters and a centre arch reaching into a pedimental gable. Windows have raised surrounds with shoulders and keystones as does small matching plaque under arch. Two small windows over door in centre, two long outer windows with two-light tracery and roundel in head. Double doors with crescent overlight in pilastered surround with moulded arch and keystone. Plain sides with three long arched windows, simple centre mullion glazing.

Railings: Low rubble forecourt walls on two sides with iron thin spearhead rails, with dog-bars and three stone piers with painted chamfered caps and ball finials. NE corner is curved.


Plain interior without galleries, big boarded internal lobby. Pine pews. Curved great seat seat with balustrading. Pulpit with two traceried Gothic panels and balustraded sides and steps each side. Plaster arch behind pulpit. Boarded panelled roof with moulded ribs and 4-pointed centre motif.

Reasons for Listing

Included principally for historic interest and group value with monument and attached row of houses behind.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.