This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6758 / 51°40'32"N
Longitude: -3.5382 / 3°32'17"W
OS Eastings: 293739
OS Northings: 198569
OS Grid: SS937985
Mapcode National: GBR HG.5LR9
Mapcode Global: VH5GS.M4CN
Plus Code: 9C3RMFG6+8P
Entry Name: Bethany Chapel, including area gate piers and railings
Listing Date: 2 April 1996
Last Amended: 2 April 1996
Source ID: 17834
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located at the NW end of the main town on the main thorough fare.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Treherbert
Traditional County: Glamorgan
English Baptist Chapel dated 1873 enlarged before 1910 by architect W.D. Morgan of Pentre. Libanus Welsh Baptist Chapel further along road to S had been founded in 1839 and first represented the Non-Conformist cause and close relationship between the 2 congregations and chapels was maintained. The Bethany Chapel is said to have been established to serve English speaking colliers migrating from Gwent. Some renovation is reported to have been carried out in 1947.
Front boundary wall of rock faced stone with painted ashlar coping; end and gate piers with deep plinths, painted moulded string courses and cross roofed capstones; part finialed metal railings and central gates.
Rectangular plan of 2 storeys originally of 3 bays in length enlarged to 7 with curved pseudo transepts. Of painted rendered stone and brick with Welsh slate roof. Gable facade has channelled render with plain slightly recessed 2 storey bays incorporating 3 window range of renewed round headed 4/2 pane horned sashes with stone sills under channelled voussoirs and keystone with impost band at abacus level; rectangular ground floor 4/2 pane sashes; a pedimented gable with cornice, renewed verges and inscription panel "Bethany Baptist Chapel 1873"; central doorway with stone step to imposing distyle portico with 2 freestanding and 2 attached columns with roll moulded capitals and bases and square plinths and abaci, heavily moulded entablature with decorative boarded ceiling, 2 stone steps to central double 5-panelled doors. Side windows are round headed 4/2 pane horned sashes above and rectangular 4/2 pane below.
Furnishings mainly date from enlargement. Entry from S into vestibule with black and white marble floor. Two staircases rising to 4 sided raked gallery supported on 9 cast iron columns with organ at front right; boarded dados and gallery soffit and panelled gallery fronts; decorative wooden ceiling with metal grilled ventilators; hoodmoulds to windows; platform has carved wooden pulpit and set fawr with classical detail and scrolled metal communion rail; numbered pews curving to sides, panelled downstairs and boarded above. Meeting room, former Sunday School, behind platform, modernised.
Listed especially for its almost unaltered classical exterior - early photograph taken before enlargement shows only the glazing bars to be different - its similarly unaltered good quality interior and its uncommon foundation in this area as an English speaking chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings