This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7844 / 51°47'3"N
Longitude: -4.8851 / 4°53'6"W
OS Eastings: 201099
OS Northings: 213465
OS Grid: SN010134
Mapcode National: GBR CP.YWG6
Mapcode Global: VH1RN.8DTX
Entry Name: North Wing and Entrance Yard of Picton Castle
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source ID: 17839
Building Class: Defence
Location: Extending from the NE corner of the castle, but virtually detached since the demolition of a first-floor link corridor.
Community: Uzmaston, Boulston and Slebech (Uzmaston, Boulston a Slebets)
Locality: Picton Park
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The N wall of the yard may be a surviving fragment of the perimeter wall which originally constituted an outer defence to the castle. The yard is entered from the north by a round arch. The yard is defined on the E and W side by later walls; a 1746 map shows it occupied by intramural buildings.
The present buildings in the yard date from c.1884, when the offices wing was remodelled probably by the architect T T Reynolds of Haverfordwest. Reynolds had learned his profession under the firm of G Trollope and Sons of Pimlico, who were the contractors. The upper storey of the W and S ranges were formerly linked directly to the castle. The buildings have been restored for visitor use.
Comprises a range of 2- and 3-storey rubble buildings enclosing courtyard and connected to main block of castle by a single-storey slate-roofed passage way. Much restored and probably mainly C18/C19. In conforming style to castle with battlemented towers, round angle turrets and battlemented walling. Windows mostly sashes but some in tall, narrow, square-headed openings. Formerly the domestic quarters.
Interiors have been modernised for visitors use. In the bakery is an oven the brick setting of whic is about 1.5 m square and 1.5 m high, with intergral hearth. The same room has a large C19 fireplace grate. The slab of the World War II mortuary installed in the former butcher's shop is preserved also.
Included as an intergral part of the ensemble at Picton Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings