This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7841 / 51°47'2"N
Longitude: -4.8849 / 4°53'5"W
OS Eastings: 201107
OS Northings: 213434
OS Grid: SN011134
Mapcode National: GBR CP.YWG9
Mapcode Global: VH1RN.8FW4
Entry Name: Raised Terrace at East Entrance to Picton Castle
Listing Date: 26 February 1998
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source ID: 19421
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjacent to Picton Castle East Entrance
Community: Uzmaston, Boulston and Slebech (Uzmaston, Boulston a Slebets)
Locality: Picton Park
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Amongst the improvements carried out for R B P Philipps at Picton Castle under the directions of the architect Thomas Rowlands of Haverfordwest c.1828 was the raising of this extensive terraced area linked to the main entrance, superseding the narrow causeway (of 1697) which previously linked the entrance to the rising ground to the E, and which is probably buried within it. Much of the old surrounding wall of the castle was demolished at this time, and it is conjectured that the rubble from this demolition was some at least of the fill material used to raise the terrace.
A raised terrace merging into the land surface at the E. At the W it is confined by widely-embracing curved retaining walls extending as wings symmetrically to either side of the main entrance to the Castle. Similar hammer-dressed masonry to the masonry of the Castle itself, the common stonework perhaps re-used from mediaeval walls. Low parapets with overhanging copings. The basement of the Castle extends a short distance beneath the terrace. At either side of the entrance are curved flights of steps down to the lower level. Round ornamental hammer-dressed masonry piers with decorative carved copings at the tops of the stairs and at the terminations of the wings. Carved stone balusters and copings to the steps.
Listed as an important element in the setting of the E entrance of Picton Castle, linking it to the landscaped grounds, and for group value with the Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings