This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8647 / 52°51'52"N
Longitude: -3.6822 / 3°40'56"W
OS Eastings: 286850
OS Northings: 331016
OS Grid: SH868310
Mapcode National: GBR 69.RD11
Mapcode Global: WH67B.D8S6
Entry Name: Hen Gapel, including walls and railings to forecourt
Listing Date: 12 April 1996
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 17919
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: To the N of minor road from A 494 (near Llanuwchllyn) to Dolhendre, about 600m from junction with A 494.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built in 1871, replacing chapel of 1810, itself a rebuilding of chapel of 1746.
Large chapel in eclectic Victorian Renaissance style. Gabled front in snecked grey stone with bathstone dressings; rubble sides and rear, slate roof. Classical treatment of gabled front as pedimented facade with Tuscan pilasters, keystoned 'glorification arch' breaks up into pediment; geometric finial with surmounting obelisk. The outer bays have tall keystoned arched windows with simple tracery; to centre, central bay divided by pilaster; 2 keystoned arched windows at upper level below which are 2 keystoned arched entrance doorways, camber-headed double-leaf doors with simple tracery in overlights. Above the entrances are inset sandstone dedication plaques giving name, Yr Hen Gapel and foundation dates, 1746, 1810 & 1871. The east (R) elevation has 4 tall arched windows. The rear has 2 tall arched windows flanked by 2 arched windows at lower level. The west (L) elevation (rendered) has windows on 2 levels.
The chapel is set back from the lane behind a forecourt with low rubble walls having tooled sandstone copings and surmounting decorative railings; central iron gates with slender iron piers and surmounting finials.
Almost unaltered interior has boarded and panelled ceiling. Gallery on 3 sides supported on iron columns; balcony front with fretted ironwork. Set fawr with arched reredos. Pitch pine box pews.
Listed as elaborate and well-preserved Victorian rural chapel, with earlier adjoining manse of c1810 retaining good late Georgian character.
Other nearby listed buildings