History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Tudwal's Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanengan, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7985 / 52°47'54"N

Longitude: -4.4714 / 4°28'17"W

OS Eastings: 233478

OS Northings: 325190

OS Grid: SH334251

Mapcode National: GBR 58.WL9R

Mapcode Global: WH44W.9X0G

Entry Name: St Tudwal's Lighthouse

Listing Date: 29 March 1996

Last Amended: 1 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17928

Building Class: Maritime

Location: On the highest point of the island, which is 4.5km approx off shore SE of Abersoch.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Pwllheli

Community: Llanengan

Community: Llanengan

Locality: St Tudwals West Island

Find accommodation in
Abersoch

History

The lighthouse was erected in 1877 to mark the N end of Cardigan Bay. Originally oil-fired it was later converted to gas. The lighthouse was automatic from 1921, it was converted to solar power in 1995 and solar panels fitted to the gallery.

Exterior

The free-standing tower is aligned on the central axis of the former keepers' accommodation, which stands in front of it. Tower is lined-out render over stone, 10.7m high. Circular, with tapering form; heavy moulded cornice projects boldly to carry the gallery of the lantern: lantern has ribbed cast-iron base, lattice glazing and domed roof with ball-finial vent and weather vane. Gallery railings are cast iron with fluted finials. Entrance to W, facing the blocked rear entrance of the keepers' accommodation, in square projecting porch, with unmoulded cornice and blocking course. Single windows to either side of tower have projecting sills and lintels, and the transomed windows have raked back upper lights. Trinity House arms in relief over the N-facing window.

Interior

Service room on ground floor, with steep cast-iron ladder staircase to lantern floor, which is of standard type with radial cast-iron beams supporting floor with outer gridded walkway: cast-iron lotus railing at head of staircase. The optic is dated 1876 on a makers' plate 'Chance Brothers & Co Lighthouse Engineers and Constructors near Birmingham': cast-iron support has moulded open panels in base, and open-work frieze above moulded cornice. It carries a beehive optic.

Reasons for Listing

A good example of a small late C19 lighthouse which retains much of its original character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.