This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8059 / 52°48'21"N
Longitude: -4.4916 / 4°29'29"W
OS Eastings: 232147
OS Northings: 326058
OS Grid: SH321260
Mapcode National: GBR 57.W7DL
Mapcode Global: WH44V.ZQBT
Entry Name: Penrhynmawr
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19623
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.2 km E of Bwlchtocyn Chapel, on S side of unmetalled track to Porth Tocyn and Penrhyndu.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Farmhouse probably of late C17 to early C18 origins, used in the C19 as the mine manager's office of the Penrhyndu lead-mine. The rear wall is thick and there is a deep right end chimney wall, but the front was probably rebuilt c1800 and altered in the C19 with brick window surrounds. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map as owned by the Marquess of Anglesey, occupied by William Roberts. In Llanengan churchyard is buried Captain John Evans 1790-1816 son of John Evans 1750-1818, both of Penrhynmawr. At end of C19 part of the Penrhyn estate.
House, rubble stone with red brick dressings, slate close-eaved roof and rendered brick end stacks. Two storeys. N front has 3 well-spaced first floor square windows with 16-pane sashes, but there are patches of exposed brickwork to centre right and brick jambs to right window. Centre right patch includes head of a blocked window at mid height. Ground floor has windows and centre door aligned with those above, but also one each side of centre. Window to centre left has brick surround, left window has brick jambs, right window has brick surround. Left and centre right windows have stone slab lintels. Door has late C19 or early C20 gabled timber hood on brackets over. A small blocked brick roundel is over centre left window. Rear wall is rendered with battered base to wall, rear wing on boulder foundations. Two-storey addition to left, one-window range of C20 windows with S end lean-to porch.
N end room has one heavy beam and infilled fireplace. Rear wing has floor slab over 22' deep well.
Listed as a farmhouse predominantly C19 in character but retaining significant elements of its earlier origins. Of historical interest for its association with the Penrhyndu lead-mine.
Other nearby listed buildings