This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8075 / 52°48'27"N
Longitude: -4.49 / 4°29'24"W
OS Eastings: 232258
OS Northings: 326235
OS Grid: SH322262
Mapcode National: GBR 57.W1S2
Mapcode Global: WH44W.0P5K
Entry Name: Engine-house Tower by Tower Cottage
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19605
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated some 250m NNW of Penrhynmawr farmhouse to W of track leading on to Penrhyndu headland.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Engine house of Cornish type for a steam-powered pumping engine for the Penrhyndu lead mine. The tower may have been built in the late C18 for a Newcomen type engine and altered in the early to mid C19 to take a Boulton & Watt type beam engine. There is no visible chimney, but this would probably have been detached and it is suggested that Tower Cottage may have been a separate boiler house. Lead mining at Penrhyndu may go back to Roman times, there were workings owned by Cymer Abbey in the Middle Ages. Mining is mentioned in 1668 and 1734, Messrs Roe of Macclesfield were working the mine from the 1760s to the early C19. In 1785 John Cartwright and three others erected an engine to drain the mine, but Edward Hyde Hall in 1809-11 found all mining ceased. In 1828 Messrs Williams of Gwennap, Cornwall took over, running the mine to 1839. There was a successful find in 1869, and the mine operated until 1892. In the C19 owned by the Assheton-Smith family of Vaynol.
Cornish engine-house, rubble stone, roofless. Tall square tower with gabled rear, flat-topped side walls and front large square upper opening for balance-beam. Doorway in front with timber lintel, left side has window to ground floor right and first floor centre, right side has door to left. Rear has blocked ground floor opening and windows first floor and loft. Side walls are stepped in at first floor.
Roofless and floorless, holes for floor beams visible, walls stepped out at first floor sides. There are indications of alterations.
One of the very few mine engine houses of the Cornish type built in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings