This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0773 / 52°4'38"N
Longitude: -4.5384 / 4°32'18"W
OS Eastings: 226140
OS Northings: 245150
OS Grid: SN261451
Mapcode National: GBR D4.CBY0
Mapcode Global: VH2MY.912T
Entry Name: Bethesda Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17973
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated down dead-end lane running W off B 4570 in Ponthirwaun.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1840-1 Independent chapel, branch of Y Drewen, Cwm Cou. Altered 1870 and restored 1981. Original design was by John Jones, carpenter, of Ffynnonddwrgi Fawr, copying plan of Newcastle Emlyn Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Built by John Jones with Thomas Lodge and D. Davies, masons. Later 1840s gallery and pulpit by two sons of John Jones. Reroofed 1870 and front probably stuccoed then, windows renewed 1935. In 1981 stucco was removed.
Rubble stone with slate hipped roof, paired brackets to eaves. Rectangular plan with lateral facade of two long arched centre windows, outer cambered-headed doors with traceried overlights and, not aligned, outer arched gallery lights. Small arched centre plaque, `Bethesda Chapel was build in the year 1840'. All openings have cut stone voussoirs. Windows have plain timber Y-tracery. Framed ledged doors. Two-storey, one-window sides and two-window rear, 6-pane sashes above, 12-pane below, recessed stone voussoirs and keystones.
Front railings on low coped wall, two centre slate piers with iron gates. Cilgerran stone pyramid-capped outer piers.
Five-sided timber gallery with painted grained panelled front on four marbled timbered columnns. Vertical panelling over moulded cornice. Pulpit with arched panels to front and curving steps each side, turned newel finials. Painted grained box-pews and great seat. Later C19 boarded flat ceiling with dividing ribs.
A good example of the late Georgian to early Victorian chapel, with good fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings