This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6474 / 51°38'50"N
Longitude: -3.4882 / 3°29'17"W
OS Eastings: 297128
OS Northings: 195343
OS Grid: SS971953
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.7F8Z
Mapcode Global: VH5GT.HV8F
Plus Code: 9C3RJGW6+XP
Entry Name: Maindy and Eastern Workmen's Institute and Hall
Listing Date: 23 December 1996
Last Amended: 23 December 1996
Source ID: 18106
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Situated in the centre of Ton Pentre just W of the river and railway crossing, on corner with Pryce Street.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Locality: Ton Pentre
Built-Up Area: Rhondda
Traditional County: Glamorgan
This site formerly with 3 shops and 4 cottages was bought for a library and hall and building started 1895, cost £4000; hall opened 1904 and used for 'animated pictures' from 1908. Proceeds supported the Colliery Relief Fund. New equipment installed 1931. In C19 Pentre vied with Treorchy as the main centre for the upper Rhondda. Maindy Colliery was sunk 1866. Eastern Colliery closed 1937 and Maindy 1944 but hall has continued as a cinema and brought cinemascope to the Rhondda in 1953. Former Bailey Estate Office adjacent to right.
Former Institute and Library frontage on Church Road, with Hall entrance and frontage on Pryce Street to side left; this extends to rear elevation of Bethesda Chapel. Institute and Library frontage built of coursed rock faced sandstone with painted ashlar dressings; ashlar end and ridge stacks with cornices and pots and Welsh slate roof with ridge tiles and central dormer. Three storeys, a 5 bay frontage; the 2 gabled bays with finials flanking the entrance break forward slightly and have 2-storeyed canted bays with pitched slate roofs. String course separates the main storeys; separate quoins to bays, plinth. All windows are horned sashes. Steps lead to double 5 panelled doors with semi-circular overlight with leaded inscription 'Maindy and Eastern Workmen's Institute' within central round arched doorway under steep gabled surround.
Side elevation comprises 2 bays of the Institute, the Hall entrance and the 7 bay Hall. Entrance bay has 3 large long 4/4 pane horned sash windows on first floor above a triple arched entrance with steps leading past shutter to quadripartite glazed swing doors. Hall elevation comprises pairs of blank window features separated by an ashlar mullion, with each lintel chamfered and floors divided by moulded string course; 2 side doorways. Lean-to bay to rear with 3 small gabled cross bays with yellow brick dressings.
Hall foyer has 2 diverging staircases leading to gallery with moulded wreathed handrails, decorative metal balusters, 2 curtail steps and a decorative panel with circular motif. Terrazzo floor in coloured panels partly survives. Auditorium retains moulded proscenium arch, boarded dado, some 4 panelled doors and door surrounds, gallery with panelled front and bracketed soffit suported by 9 cast iron piers; ceiling cornice and braces; metal-framed tip-up seats of varying designs.
Listed as one of the most complete surviving examples of a colliery institute and hall, an historically important building type for the Rhondda.
Group value with Bethesda Welsh Independent Chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings