This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5762 / 51°34'34"N
Longitude: -2.9809 / 2°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 332120
OS Northings: 186824
OS Grid: ST321868
Mapcode National: GBR J6.CWDF
Mapcode Global: VH7BD.8NZ2
Entry Name: Baltic Oil Works
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18173
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located on W side of the A4042, close to junction with Dock Parade. Formerly on street known as Portland Street, now redeveloped.
Community: Pillgwenlly (Pilgwenlli)
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Mid C19 warehouse probably constructed c1844, formerly abutting the western side of the Old Town Dock; the cast-iron may have been supplied by Homfray from his Tredegar Ironworks. The Old Town Dock opened in 1842, constructed by the Monmouthshire Canal Company to designs by John Rennie (1794-1874). The Dock closed in 1929 and was infilled in 1932. The building was occupied by Morris and Dibble, oil, grease and colour merchants, trading from 1889 - 1970's.
Mid C19 warehouse, three storeys, random rubble elevations with ashlar quoining and flat-topped window arches with keystones. Low pitched, slated roof with coped gables. Long elevation is five windows wide, some barred, others with shutters. Ground floor openings with double doors offset to right hand end. Gable end, facing road is three windows wide. Painted advertisement on black painted ground set between second/third floors reads "BALTIC OIL WORKS HENRY MORRIS. LTD BALTIC OIL & GREASE WORKS". Later, two storey range to SE corner of random rubble elevations with brick dressings to windows and quoins, some blocked openings, gabled slated roof.
Listed grade II as the only surviving mid C19 building associated with the Old Town Dock, retaining original architectural character.
Other nearby listed buildings