This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6827 / 51°40'57"N
Longitude: -4.7811 / 4°46'51"W
OS Eastings: 207837
OS Northings: 201878
OS Grid: SN078018
Mapcode National: GBR GC.S0VK
Mapcode Global: VH2PK.2YSX
Entry Name: East Jordanston Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 1 August 1996
Source ID: 6012
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the N of an unclassified road, about 1 km NW of St. Florence village.
Community: St. Florence
Community: St. Florence
Locality: East Jordanston
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A C17 farmhouse with a small side-extension at the W and a large rear extension. In 1662 John Barlow devised Jordeston, messuage and lands, to Joan Barlow. A memorial in the church indicates that in 1829 the E Jordeston was owned by George Lock. It remained Lock property until the C20, but in 1922 it was a smallholding property of the County Council. The Council added the upper floor and dormers to the rear wing of the house and blocked the internal access to the rear wing from the foot of the main stairs, to form two dwellings. The house is now occupied separately from the farmland.
Two storeys with a large attic. The walls are rendered and coloured, except the E elevation which is in hammer-dressed masonry. Slate roof with stone end-chimneys, similarly rendered and coloured. The front elevation is a range of five windows, slightly irregularly placed. The front windows at first-floor are four-pane sash windows. The ground-storey windows were replaced with French windows in the 1922 alterations. Central two-storey porch, open at the front, with a round sandstone arch. The room above is lit by a circular window with curved glazing bars. The W stack projects from the gable. The E stack serving the kitchen hearth is flush and has an attic window beneath it, which the flue in the wall thickness is diverted around. At the centre of the rear elevation is a staircase turret.
Rear wing of two units with a dairy at the E side and a modern porch at the W side. Twelve-pane sash windows to the W front. Slate roof.
A two-unit plan with central hallway and stairs at the rear in a turret. The rear wall of the staircase turret is semi-circular internally. The attic of the main house is a single room with the roof trusses fully exposed: nine bays with the bay widths regularly graduated from 2 m in the centre bay down to 0.6 m in the end bays. In each truss the collar is generously dovetailed and pegged to the principals. The upper face of each truss faces the centre of the room. In the rear kitchen is a large hearth with two ovens.
Listed as a C17 vernacular farmhouse of local importance retaining its layout, a good roof and other original features.
Other nearby listed buildings