This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1702 / 53°10'12"N
Longitude: -4.243 / 4°14'34"W
OS Eastings: 250165
OS Northings: 366024
OS Grid: SH501660
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.47RK
Mapcode Global: WH437.SLP0
Plus Code: 9C5Q5QC4+3Q
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 29 May 1968
Last Amended: 18 April 1997
Source ID: 18336
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated immediately adjacent to the Menai Strait, down a minor road off the A487 roundabout S of Y Felinheli.
Community: Y Felinheli
Community: Y Felinheli
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Medieval church (walls and bell-cote probably C13), originally attached to Beddgelert Priory. Said in 1821 to have been partially rebuilt by J. Griffiths of Llanfair Hall. In 1855 described as 'nave and chancel undivided and E window of ordinary character'. Thoroughly restored in 1865 by Sir G. Gilbert Scott, inserting chancel arch, new windows and S porch.
Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, W bellcote and S porch. W bellcote is rough single arch with gabled top, wall masonry is probably medieval. 1865 coped gables, with E cross finial, and plain lancets. Pair at W, two singles to nave N, porch and pair to nave S, triplet to chancel E. Porch has coped gable and chamfered pointed arch. There are traces of the old window openings around the new ones - see the relieving arch cut by present E window - and reused stone mullion and head-stops in E wall. Bellcote is similar to that on Llanfaglan Church.
Whitewashed plastered walls, ashlar chancel arch and window arches. Nave roof with one arch-braced collar truss, chancel roof boarded with one similar truss, both of which may be C15. Medieval font, possibly early C15, octagonal with relief carvings on 3 sides: a trifoliated circle, a niche and a foliated cross. C19 base. 3-bay carved screen of 1928 with delicate tracery framing the three square-headed openings, vine-trail to beam above and pierced patterned cornice. Similarly carved cross above. Screen side openings serve as pulpit and lectern. Iron and brass altar rails. Projecting stone shelf in E wall left of window, presumably medieval. Stained glass: 3-light E window Resurrection and scrolled texts in patterned quarries by O'Connor & Taylor 1874, 2-light W window Faith and Charity, by Mayer of Munich, late C19. 2 N windows, Light of the World 1890, and Good Shepherd 1883. S 2-light SS Patrick & Francis early C20. Memorial plaques in chancel: S wall brass to C. Morgans of Rustrad d1733, fine slate and marble memorial to Wynns of Llanfair 1730-64 with cherub head beneath and arms in lozenge above. Stone plaque 1644 RD LL. Six oil lamps converted to electricity.
A basically medieval church, with surviving roof-trusses and font. Unusually extensive series of stained glass windows.
Other nearby listed buildings